Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:04 PM

156 posts, read 514,839 times

Advertisements

So about a month ago I applied and paid a deposit to 'hold' a room. I was told that after applying and paying the fee that the room would be mine, but I wouldn't be required to sign the lease until later on when I'm actually moving in. So I have not signed anything yet. However, my move in date is nearing and I'm speaking with the leasing office about getting the lease to sign and anything else they'll need before move in. I have in writing what the price is they quoted me and guaranteed me, and they are now saying that price is a mistake and it will be $50 higher. They are acknowledging the price they quoted me as well.

So my question is.. what do I do? I have a feeling without a lease they have no obligation to stick to the quoted price. But I can't just say yeah okay no problem I'll pay whatever you want! I haven't spoken with the manager yet, but I'm wondering if I can get any advice as to what I should say and if I have any type of real argument to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
If I were in your shoes and I really wanted the place I would tell them that I will sign a lease for the price they quoted me and if they can't honor that price then I'll find something else and want my deposit returned in full, now. "Bait and switch" doesn't sit well with me!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If I were in your shoes and I really wanted the place I would tell them that I will sign a lease for the price they quoted me and if they can't honor that price then I'll find something else and want my deposit returned in full, now. "Bait and switch" doesn't sit well with me!
Yes. I'm incredibly angry right now. Whether they can legally do that or not, I don't know. But it's unprofessional and it's low. I would not have chosen the place otherwise because it was right on the high side of my budget as it was. Further, the price I was quoted was available for other rooms, which are 'no longer available'. However, I was the first there and the first to sign, and at the time could've freely chosen any room I wished had I been told that from the beginning.

I'm just so sick of all the bull **** and am not going to let them do it to me. The tough part is I do really want this place. It was the only place I saw that I truly was very excited about. So hopefully it doesn't have to come to me asking for my refund.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Just be quiet, businesslike and firm.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Just be quiet, businesslike and firm.
Thanks. That's how I go about things.. and I've gotten good at it with how much I've had to do this kind of crap lately. 99% of the time being polite and friendly whilst holding your ground will get the job done. Will update back.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Legally, can they change the price when you haven't signed a lease yet? Maybe, since there was no signed agreement. But also maybe not since you paid a deposit to hold a unit. What does your receipt/paperwork say for the hold?

But ethically, since you have something in writing that says the price and that you could have your choice of apartments x, y, or z, and now they aren't offering that, that is definitely a shady move.

Either way, I wouldn't let them push you around. Take what you have in writing and insist politely that they either honor it or give you your full deposit back, immediately. If they don't, I bet you have a local radio/news station that would love to do an "on your side" story about the landlord who uses such unethical practices.

Good luck

Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Ok.. everything is back to good standing! Luckily, when I was applying there I made good friends with one of the leasing agents who has been great to me and I've been talking to since. As I was waiting for a call back from the manager I got a voicemail from the agent saying that she went in on her hands and knees and begged to have them correct it to my quoted price and she was successful. But the manager said 'I owe her'. Anyway, I called up the manager to thank her and she was very nice and explained the mistake and was actually joking around with me and incredibly friendly.

I was really worried that even if I was successful I'd be thought of as a 'problem' before I even moved in, but everyone there has been super nice and helpful. Glad this one turned out well.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Good. Enjoy your new home!

Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Good. Enjoy your new home!
not there yet.. haha. with all my issues i'm still holding my breath. but I'm excited!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Anyway, I called up the manager to thank her and she was very nice and explained the mistake and was actually joking around with me and incredibly friendly.
If you had a receipt for the holding deposit along with a price guarantee, they would have been fools to not honor it because in court a judge would have ordered them to honor it. They did you no favors and acted more like a politician evading the facts by actiung nice and sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting