Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,940 times

Advertisements

I desperately need advice. I have an idea on what to do. But either way ill be *****ed over smh.

Here is my situation. I moved to my friend's parents attic 1.5 years ago. Reason why i moved is because my friend's boyfriend moved out from an apartment they both were renting. She called me for a favor to help pay for half the rent of their apartment. I agreed like the dumbass that i am. Her parents ended up helping pay for her rent in order to break the lease. Therefore her and i moved to her parents attic. I also ended up paying more rent than what i was paying previously.

Again.....mooonths later...i was *****ed over and my friend said i have to move out because her and her bf are moving out for a place on their own. (They got back together a month after i moved in with her at her parents house)... i was pissed because randomly i have to move out. I usually like to plan ahead of time to move.

I asked if i can just rent the basement apartment. She gave me a whole bullshyt excuse saying i dont know ...my parents dont like renting to strangers. ×_× ive known her parents for 7 years ×_× i talked to her parents and they said yes you can rent the basement. I also told them i am not paying extra rent as i have to move without choice. They agreed..said it was fine.

After i moved.... her bf ended up moving to the attic apartment. ×_× from my understanding you were moving outside your parents house. I kinda found that weird.

Scroll a few months later 4 months today ive been renting the basement apartment. Now in my situation is drama. Between me and my friend. Reason why is because she keeps arguing and yelling with me because she doesn't want me hanging out with her bf and drinking with them in my basement apartment. Everytime she causes drama. By yelling...and arguing in my basement apartment for him to go back upstairs. This is creating tension between her parents and i. They hear her yell and i get in trouble. Previously she caught him in my apartment and barged in my place talking crap...then starting to swing and punch me . Broke my eyeglasses and her dad ends up coming to apartment.

Something you need to know about my crazy situation is the parents and i didnt sign a contract or a lease. Nor did they put a lock on my basement door and i have been asking for 4 months for a lock.

I am worried that without a lock...anyone can come in... come in like my friend did..or even her coming in while im gone and break my posessions.

My friend have threatened me before n even now that her parents have no problem for me to leave (her parents never said anything to me about this). Which i feel is wrong when the source of the issue here is her by creating conflict involving yelling and becoming physical. Yet... i have to leave?

I am not sure what to do exactly. I want to move out... but should i tell them i am moving....should i stick it out and wait til they ask me to leave...and if they ask me to leave can they evict me the next day..week? What should i do with my lock situation? Should i get one and deduct it from the rent? I need a lock til i find a new place....if she does break my possessions when i clearly dont have a lock... can there be any legal actions i can take? Should i make the parents pay for damages done?

I need advice! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 05:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgoofy2013 View Post
... but should i tell them i am moving....should i stick it out and wait til they ask me to leave...and if they ask me to leave can they evict me the next day..week? What should i do with my lock situation? Should i get one and deduct it from the rent? I need a lock til i find a new place....if she does break my possessions when i clearly dont have a lock... can there be any legal actions i can take? Should i make the parents pay for damages done?
You're legally considered a month to month tenant so are required to give notice. Usually 30 days but check your state landlord tenant laws (linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) for the specific notice. Your landlord is likewise required to give you the same notice. If you refuse to leave when notice is given you will likely face eviction through the courts.

With the permission of your landlord you can put a lock on the door but must give the landlord a key. If someone deliberately breaks your possessions you file a police report. You should carry renter's insurance to protect your personal belongings. It's very inexpensive.

Give your written notice and find another place.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,151 times
Agree with STT. Get renter's insurance - you should always have it anyway. It costs around $10-$15/month around here (Columbus, OH). As far as leaving, you would be a month to month tenant. Check your state LL/Tenant laws as the necessary notice to leave depends on the state, if I recall. I would get the money together to move, then give a 30 day notice (or 60 days, whatever the required time frame is) in writing, leave anytime you want after that but no matter what, you'll be responsible for the rent for those 30 days. Likewise, no one can force you to move or leave without giving the proper notice in writing.

Also, ditch your friend. She's not a very good friend. She's physically abusive, controlling, and it seems all this drama is directly related to her in some way. And quit instigating her by hanging around her boyfriend - she doesn't like it and she probably thinks there is something going on between the two of you (even if there isn't). If she attacks you again, call the police on her and file a report. Same goes with if someone "breaks" into your place.

What kind of unit are you renting? Is it a full, finished basement apartment or just a studio type thing?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,940 times
Thank you sooo much for responding. Ive been going thru alot these past months but it hasnt effected my mood or my positive energy. I just need to move befote she starts drama again. Whole situation is making me look bad.

The basement is a finished basement. I really enjoy it.. parents have said they dont mind me being down here. But coming from her mouth...they dont have a problem for me to leave. Which i heard from the parents they want her to leave ×_× smh

Next thing i have to do is buy a lock myself as theyre not gonna do it

Old 10-07-2014, 10:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Just be sure to give them a key.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
And make sure you get permission from the landlord to place a lock on their door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting