Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:11 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times

Advertisements

Written contracts always trump verbal and even with the increase on the check its month to month. Maybe he should have given you more heads up but he is within his right to sell the property. Now if someone buys it to live in your out but as a landlord I would gladly keep a property with a tenant in place as an income property
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Similar happened to a co-worker and she was freaking out... it was a 4 unit building.

I helped her draft a short letter to the owner and seller... basically how much she enjoyed living there and would like to continue living there.

Also said if this is not possible she does have a place in mind...

Two days later the new owner came over and said he wanted her to stay and is ready to renew the existing lease unchanged for another year...

Two other tenants were not so fortunate...

Old 10-09-2014, 04:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
It is not an automatic that it becomes a m2m at end of lease. Sometimes a lease is self-renewing; meaning that it may renew for 1 or even 3 years "absent notice to the contrary".

The only way to know is to read the lease.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
You have whatever time it takes for your LL to get an offer....and close. Lots of variables...typically new LL raise the rent...that's why the buy investment property.....otherwise the new homeowner will want you out prior to closing. Cooperate, if you want any sort of reference...but best prepare to move, you do not have a written lease anymore. Good luck

Old 04-07-2016, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 678 times
My Grandson was renting from a Lady with the option to buy (no papers verbal)she died in a car wreck, her son takes over and says we will have the same arrangement as you and Mother. I will give you first choice. My Grandson comes home from work and finds a note on his door stating I'm your new Landlord would like to find out if you want to buy the house from me or still rent, is that legal

Old 04-07-2016, 09:59 AM

32,645 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Buchanan View Post
My Grandson was renting from a Lady with the option to buy (no papers verbal)she died in a car wreck, her son takes over and says we will have the same arrangement as you and Mother. I will give you first choice. My Grandson comes home from work and finds a note on his door stating I'm your new Landlord would like to find out if you want to buy the house from me or still rent, is that legal
Why would it not be legal? If he inherited the house, he is the new landlord and he is going to honor his mother's arrangement that your grandson gets right of first refusal. That does not mean that he has to hold the house forever until your grandson wants to buy. So let the new landlord know whether your grandson wants to buy it now or to continue renting.

I'm afraid I don't even see what you are upset about unless you have left out a lot of facts.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Buchanan View Post
Yep, sounds like he is following his mother's verbal agreement. It sounds like the grandson can continue renting, and he has the option to buy. If I were him and I didn't want to buy yet, but might want to in the future, I would probably want to clarify if his option to buy is only now, or if it will still be an option in the future.

In any case, I also don't really understand your question, since it sounds like nothing really changed for your grandson except that he now has a new landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting