Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,055 times

Advertisements

Hi
The manager from our Apartment Complex has accused my son of riding his Skateboard on the premises and confiscated his skateboard. I am fine with that rules are rules but the problem here is that he was not riding it he was holding his skateboard and the Manager came up to him snatching it from his hand after he repeatedly told her he was not riding it.
I have asked the manager to show me the footage of him riding the skateboard and she denied to show me. I refused to sign the regulation paperwork because of this and she won't return the skateboard. What can I do?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dira View Post
What can I do?
Call the police and report the board stolen.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
+1 to call the police.

Mention the words theft AND assault of a minor.

Your kid will have the skateboard back in a second.

You may have to find a new place to live once your current lease lapses and doesn't get renewed. Then again, do you really want to live there if the manager is such a nutjob?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:39 PM

156 posts, read 514,839 times
Come on... you really believe your son was just walking around with a skateboard and management stole it from him? I think they have better things to do..

You said yourself rules are rules, now why are you fighting? Be a grown up, apologize to management, tell them you promise you won't let it happen again, and I'm sure they'll give it back. Maybe there was a case of mis-identification and it was a different kid on a board. But either way, threatening and asking for footage? Over a skateboard? Come on.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Come on... you really believe your son was just walking around with a skateboard and management stole it from him? I think they have better things to do..
You can veer off course and assume whatever you like but it doesn't alter the fact that management had no legal right to confiscate the board, let alone hold it hostage for a signature on "regulation paperwork".

Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
+1 to call the police.

Mention the words theft AND assault of a minor.
Really? You are advising knowingly filing a false police report? Where was this assault?

Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Really? You are advising knowingly filing a false police report? Where was this assault?
Since when was reporting an article stolen (which it was as management has no right to snatch and confiscate anything) "false"? As far as "assault" is concerned, if the manager touched the child, that's legally assault but is a determination that the police will make when the incident is reported.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can veer off course and assume whatever you like but it doesn't alter the fact that management had no legal right to confiscate the board, let alone hold it hostage for a signature on "regulation paperwork".
Yes... and if it's simply a case of management taking a skateboard after repeated attempts to tell him not to.. I think the much more adult thing to do would be to go down and talk to them, rather than be a lunatic and call the police on them. I don't get why people are so scared of confrontation. Most things are easily solved with talking and being polite.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Yes... and if it's simply a case of management taking a skateboard after repeated attempts to tell him not to.. I think the much more adult thing to do would be to go down and talk to them, rather than be a lunatic and call the police on them. I don't get why people are so scared of confrontation. Most things are easily solved with talking and being polite.
I don't get how you apparently failed to read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dira View Post
... I have asked the manager to show me the footage of him riding the skateboard and she denied to show me. I refused to sign the regulation paperwork because of this and she won't return the skateboard. What can I do?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't get how you apparently failed to read:
I didn't fail to read anything! Certainly we don't know exact circumstances and what she is and isn't leaving out of this. She made no mention of going in for discussion.. but simply that she went in demanding for video evidence. What manager isn't going to think someone is crazy when they start demanding footage of a kid skateboarding? The point is to handle this like a regular person and talk about it.. not start making demands and threats over a skateboard.

All I'm saying, is to me it sounds like OP is jumping the gun and being irrational rather than being polite and asking nicely. Regardless, there's no point in us to arguing over it. My only point was to try being polite and not be so quick to assume your child is telling the truth. Kids tend to lie to get out of trouble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting