Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 12:29 AM

18 posts, read 43,120 times

Advertisements

We recently moved cities, and left a rental which we'd only been in for a year. Our landlord was an unusually difficult person to work with, both during tenancy and now that we're trying to wrap up our deposit return (he's been AWOL for a month since we brought up a shady deduction from our deposit).

He put up a good front with us, played the friendly but forgetful sort. Close to our move, though, it became obvious that that was a calculated choice - he sealed it when he stated after an open house that he "would NEVER rent to [prospective tenant], because she's a lawyer and they know too much."

We won't escalate this to small claims court, but it's become about the principle: he's gone off radar because he assumes we'll have no choice but to drop it (he's right). I want him to be held accountable in some way, because the way he treats tenants is unethical.

Is there any legal reason I shouldn't reach out to the current tenant to let them know how our exit went down? Factually, not emotionally. If we had known, we would have been better able to protect ourselves. My husband is worried there's some slander issue.

Last edited by Jkec; 11-27-2014 at 01:05 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 01:12 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,182,532 times
Truth is a defense against slander. If what you say is factually true, there is nothing the landlord can do about it.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:24 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,026,696 times
If you've been unjustly taken advantage of financially, please take the jackass to small claims court, and get a judgment.
Refusal to pay would ding his credit and maybe (just maybe) help said jackass to behave appropriately with the next victim (read: tenant).

Old 11-27-2014, 11:45 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,868,525 times
Slander/libel isn't an issue unless the offended party can prove that you spoke ill of him/her to 4 people or more, and that what you said wasn't true. (You'd have to be able to prove your statements about him were true, too.)

Old 11-27-2014, 12:24 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
It's not slander if you just forewarn the tenant to attend to certain maintenance issues, or move-out procedures, or whatever.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
If you've been unjustly taken advantage of financially, please take the jackass to small claims court, and get a judgment.
Refusal to pay would ding his credit and maybe (just maybe) help said jackass to behave appropriately with the next victim (read: tenant).
I agree. It's the most effective step to take. Blabbing to a new tenant - however carefully you couch your words - is usually totally ineffectual. If the new tenant has thus far enjoyed a decent relationship with the LL they'll more than likely assume that you were the problem.

Oh, and by the way, the comment the ex landlord made about renting to lawyers is often heard. I've known a few excellent landlords who've had to deal with tenants who were attorneys and they concur that they're a breed to be avoided for the most part with their propensity to turn every simple little thing into a protracted scenario worthy of "Law and Order"!

Old 11-27-2014, 02:29 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
Are you planning on sitting in front to the place & tell everyone going in to look at it.... other wise I don't see the point.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:50 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
OP, I suggest that you don't. Perhaps not slander, although you'd have to have irrefutable proof that what you are saying is the truth and not just your own opinion. However, there are damages due to restraint of trade to consider. If you stop the landlord from renting, he has financial damages that you have caused.

Once a new tenant has moved in, you won't accomplish anything; they have already signed the lease. If you sit outside to warn everyone who looks at the unit, to save them from renting from that landlord, it would take a lot of your time.

Your best option is to take the landlord to small claims court and present your case there that you are owed your deposit back.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:39 PM

18 posts, read 43,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Are you planning on sitting in front to the place & tell everyone going in to look at it.... other wise I don't see the point.
Well, no... Of course that would be absurd. We have contact info for the new tenant (they signed before we moved out, and we have a cell # for them). So it would amount to a text message or phone call letting them know the specifics of our move-out interaction, so they know how to cover their bases better than we did.

As far as taking him to court, yes I agree that that would be the ideal. We're talking less than $500, and we live 6 hours away and have a young baby, new job, etc. I don't want him to get away with it, but it's not realistic for us to drag him into court proceedings - and he knows it. It seems like arming the current tenants with knowledge is the next best option.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,268,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Oh, and by the way, the comment the ex landlord made about renting to lawyers is often heard. I've known a few excellent landlords who've had to deal with tenants who were attorneys and they concur that they're a breed to be avoided for the most part with their propensity to turn every simple little thing into a protracted scenario worthy of "Law and Order"!
And that's no joke!

My first time renting a property (a condo I had moved out of) was to a paralegal. Might as well have been to an attorney b/c she had close to 10 lawyers she got her free (bad) RE legal advice from when she caused an issue and eventually broke the lease 6 months in to buy a house.

One HUGE headache she was.

Thankfully MY attorney specialized in RE and set her personal injury "bosses" straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting