Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,172 times

Advertisements

There's quite a bit of damage to the house I live in caused by my old roommates. The 5 of them moved out and we came to an agreement that we would pay them part of the security deposit back based on the damages to the house. We used "exhibit A" from our lease, which shows the cost for damages, and did a walk through and added them up. Apperently the old roommates didn't like this and called our landlord who said they would get a full deposit back and paid it to them without us knowing. As of now our landlord hasn't said if the new roommates owe them any money or not. They only have my 1/6th of the deposit and we are afraid they will take that money and charge us when we've out even though most of the damages were from the tenets that moved out already. We live in Columbus, Ohio and are just a bunch of college kids. We have a free Student legal service but don't know if we should contact them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,218 times
That's bizarre. Does the LL know you are still living there? What is the lease situation currently? If you have just signed a new lease, I would document the condition of the apartment, so when you move out you can prove it was damaged when your lease started.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye6 View Post
We have a free Student legal service but don't know if we should contact them.
Yes, you need to, and take all your paperwork with you.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Quote:
There's quite a bit of damage to the house I live in caused by my old roommates. The 5 of them moved out and we came to an agreement that we would pay them part of the security deposit back based on the damages to the house. We used "exhibit A" from our lease, which shows the cost for damages, and did a walk through and added them up. Apperently the old roommates didn't like this and called our landlord who said they would get a full deposit back and paid it to them without us knowing. As of now our landlord hasn't said if the new roommates owe them any money or not. They only have my 1/6th of the deposit and we are afraid they will take that money and charge us when we've out even though most of the damages were from the tenets that moved out already. We live in Columbus, Ohio and are just a bunch of college kids. We have a free Student legal service but don't know if we should contact them.
I'm curious - whose name is on the lease?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:50 PM

My ne is on the lease as a renwall and then the new roommates signed on a new lease

Old 10-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
My ne is on the lease as a renwall and then the new roommates signed on a new lease
You have free student legal services - use them. That's what they're there for.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 PM

575 posts, read 1,469,059 times
I'm from Columbus Ohio and went to the school your speaking of. Contact the student legal services and tell them what is going on and they will help you out. I've used them before for a LL issue.

ETA - I felt I should also add that no, I do not think you will be responsible for all the damages. I'm sure there's a lot of technical legal jargon to it but basically all of you who were on the old lease are jointly responsible for any damages. The LL refunded your roommates their part of the deposit. They may have legally forfeited any claim to the deposit when they did this - I don't know the laws well enough to give you any kind of legal advice.

If I may, can I ask if this was a private LL or a campus rental company? I'm curious because I had a problem with one of the companies on campus and was wondering if we happened to have the same LL.

Last edited by azurabug; 10-21-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM

It's GAS properties. They still haven't contacted us and told us they gave them money, the old roommates were the ones that told us

Old 10-22-2014, 11:31 AM

Free student legal service. Did you contact them yet?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:55 PM

575 posts, read 1,469,059 times
Quote:
It's GAS properties. They still haven't contacted us and told us they gave them money, the old roommates were the ones that told us
Nope not the same company I rented from. Seems those campus rental companies aren't great places to rent from.

Definitely get in touch with the free legal aid. They specialize in LL/tenant laws because they deal with it a lot. Don't put it off any longer, make an appointment and go. There's absolutely no reason to delay in doing it and the longer you put it off, the more likely you are to get screwed over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting