Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,268,876 times

Advertisements

So this is what it would say, how would you react?

Dear Tenant,

In 60 days your lease expires. You have been a valued tenant these past 3 years. We have always had the strategy of setting our rental rates a bit below the market in order to retain really good tenants.

We plan to continue with this method, however the rent you pay for the house is now 15% below present market rates. So, this year at renewal we are raising the rent 6% and adding a non-emergency repair clause. What this means is we will arrange for non emergency repairs in the most economical way possible, which means it may take up to 30 days to complete repairs.

Non emergency repairs are the following:

Cabinetry, window and door repairs
Ceiling fan repairs
light switches or outlets that do not function
All other repairs that do not effect the HVAC system or plumbing leaks that are not damaging the property

In the past, we have been exceedingly responsive to each and every repair request and completed request within 24 hours -- no matter how minor. But we have determined that, in order to manage our properties more cost effectively, we can maintain our "below market rental rates" by scheduling non-emergency repairs by doing them ourselves or using our contractors at times when they charge more favorable rates.

If you have questions, please let me know

Your Landlord

Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,543,456 times
I would huff and puff and then I would accept that such is life.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,534,324 times
Perfectly reasonable.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,335,213 times
Sounds somewhat reasonable. I try to do 24 hr repairs but in some cases I cant. I keep my rents a bit below going rate. 30 days is a bit excessive but it's not a emergency then it's a annoyance of nuisance.
If the terms seem unreasonable to you exercise your right to go elsewhere,

Old 10-27-2014, 12:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,673,782 times
Since the OP is the landlord, it is her good tenants that might leave! I would change it to 15 days.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:54 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,401,343 times
Seems fair to me.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 PM

575 posts, read 1,463,404 times
As a tenant, I probably would not be okay with non-emergency repairs taking 30 days. What if 1 toilet in a 2 bathroom house isn't working and you have to go 30 days without the second toilet, or say a storm throws a rock through your window and is sealed off with plastic for 30 days?

I mean of course I wouldn't care if a baseboard was missing for 30 days because it broke or something. But there are some repairs that I would be highly annoyed with taking 30 days since I typically don't call maintenance unless it's something that's actually an annoyance to begin with. For example, the last three times I've called maintenance, one has been about the smoke alarm breaking randomly, once for an oven knob that wasn't legible, and once for our dishwasher leaking a generous (but not large) amount of water onto the kitchen floor. None of those are emergencies but if I'd had to wait more than a week for someone to even look at them, I would not have been happy.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,893,754 times
Good letter.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,490,785 times
It communicates the policy on repairs and rent allowing sufficient time for the tenant to make an informed decision...

Can't really ask for anything more.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,743,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
So this is what it would say, how would you react?

Dear Tenant,

In 60 days your lease expires. You have been a valued tenant these past 3 years. We have always had the strategy of setting our rental rates a bit below the market in order to retain really good tenants.

We plan to continue with this method, however the rent you pay for the house is now 15% below present market rates. So, this year at renewal we are raising the rent 6% and adding a non-emergency repair clause. What this means is we will arrange for non emergency repairs in the most economical way possible, which means it may take up to 30 days to complete repairs.

Non emergency repairs are the following:

Cabinetry, window and door repairs
Ceiling fan repairs
light switches or outlets that do not function
All other repairs that do not effect the HVAC system or plumbing leaks that are not damaging the property

In the past, we have been exceedingly responsive to each and every repair request and completed request within 24 hours -- no matter how minor. But we have determined that, in order to manage our properties more cost effectively, we can maintain our "below market rental rates" by scheduling non-emergency repairs by doing them ourselves or using our contractors at times when they charge more favorable rates.

If you have questions, please let me know

Your Landlord
I would be a little more specific with this wording. As a tenant, a door or window that is broken and won't lock and / or close properly is a safety risk to me and my family. I would expect my LL to address an issue like that quickly. Would you want to go a full month without being able to lock your door when you leave for work?

I wouldn't have any complaint about the rest of the letter. The rent increase shouldn't be a surprise to your tenants...they are likely already aware that they are paying below the current market rates in you area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting