Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM

634 posts, read 897,310 times

Advertisements

If you can't move, then here's what I would do:

-Get a safe deposit box at the bank and move all valuables and important papers into it
-Keep a diary of all dealings/interactions with the landlord: it should have dates, times, and details; and don't leave it laying around, have it on your person at all times, take it into the shower with you. Extreme I know, but if this guy is shady enough to use your rented property like a motel for former tenants, then he'd not be averse to invite himself into your unit even when your home.

Additionally:

-At least consult with a lawyer
-Check your social services, sometimes emergency housing is available for people that are being victimized
-Consider your car, I don't know how mild your winters are, but it's an emergency option if it came to that

We're not intentionally trying to sound condescending, even the brightest of people forget common sense, half the cases on that Judge Judy show are about circumstances just like this: informal rental agreements for a room or two in somebody's house offered up without any research into the landlord/tenant law only to have it blow up in their faces.

Edit: one last thing, careful how much you reveal on public forums, you never know whose reading these.

Last edited by Garethe; 10-30-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,057 times
Ok well just to make it clear Vegas was for our wedding 7 months ago... I guess we should have cancelled that because somehow we should have known that we would of needed to come up with first last and security AGAIN in a short amount of time! As far as the boat goes its a small 1978 boat dont think we will get nearly enough to move with that.... in addition we had a verbal agreement to be able to stay for at least 2 years should of gotten that in writing know that now.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivacyPlease View Post
Ok well just to make it clear Vegas was for our wedding 7 months ago... I guess we should have cancelled that because somehow we should have known that we would of needed to come up with first last and security AGAIN in a short amount of time! As far as the boat goes its a small 1978 boat dont think we will get nearly enough to move with that.... in addition we had a verbal agreement to be able to stay for at least 2 years should of gotten that in writing know that now.
I re-read your first post and it says that he moved your stuff out of the dryer while you were in Vegas.
Quote:
"we late went to vegas for a week to get married came back and he had been in our place taken our laundry out of the dryer move some of our stuff out of the house into the shed."
That means you've been living there for 7 months already????

Either things aren't that bad, or you should have been saving money to move for the last 7 months.

Or you can't get a regular landlord to rent to you due to bad credit or some other issue.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:17 PM

217 posts, read 314,251 times
Something doesn't add up.... you went to vegas, yet you dont have money to move?

What's scary about this is he can come into your house when you are home sleeping or in the bathroom taking a shower during the day.

Dude, run.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:20 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivacyPlease View Post
.... in addition we had a verbal agreement to be able to stay for at least 2 years should of gotten that in writing know that now.
Be glad you didn't. Now you can move sooner. That's what you need to do. Start saving now.

BTW, you only need to save up last and security.Because you already will have "first month rent" for either your current rental or your new rental. And, as far as last month rent goes, if you paid it at your current rental, then when you give 30 day notice you don't have to pay the last month rent again...because it's already paid, right? So you then have that month to pay as 'last month rent' at your new place.

Now you only need to save up 'security deposit', plus moving costs. Not so bad.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I'd live in a motel if I were them.

But not the Bates Motel...

Old 10-31-2014, 12:54 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'd suggest your quickest method to deal with this situation is to get a second job and get some cash. Deliver pizza. Work retail during the holidays. Whatever. Don't waste any money on a lawyer or a camera. Just move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting