Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 03:57 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,044,216 times

Advertisements

Getting rid of her sounds like a great Xmas present to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,119,270 times
She sounds like she has some issues (and not with the wiring). Did you check out her previous landlords? I don't know if you used a leasing agent, but I think that they screen all prospective tenants by calling previous landlords, pull credit reports, and do background checks, in addition, to showing your rental to those interested. You pay them usually a whole month's rent (maybe less) and they find you a tenant and prepare leases for you, too. That's what I think a leasing agent would do, but maybe I'm asking for too much here and someone on this thread knows more than I do about this kind of agent. If you know that she had moved six times in two years, then that would be a red flag coupled with what her landlords (legally) can say about her concerns about house "safety." Two months into the lease means maybe at least another 10 months with her, but maybe to make everyone happy you can let her out of her lease if she'll feel "safer" in another house.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:48 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,384,373 times
But wait there's more: Last night she accused me of trying blow up the house and burning it down with her and her kids in it, trying to make it look like an accident so I can collect insurance. She claims I 'meddled' with the gas service to make it leak, all for my financial gain since, as she claims "you can't sell this house, houses in the neighborhood don't sell so burning it down would make perfect sense for someone in your position". I made a police report and sent a letter to my attorney. I feel bad for her kids. She did pay her rent a day late. In Massachusetts, it is very hard to evict someone so I am stuck with her until she either leaves on her own or she burns the house down. I think I will sell. This landlording thing is not for me.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:18 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,635,793 times
Oh wow. I am so sorry! Awful!!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:12 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,881,005 times
Coolgato is wrong. She clearly DOES have a problem with the wiring, and it's one you should take seriously. It's just that the wiring in question is between her ears rather than inside the house walls.

Here's hoping she decides to move ASAP, so that your nightmare will be over and you can get out of the landlording business!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:44 PM

8,643 posts, read 22,790,328 times
You need to start documenting this immediately! You have a larger problem than a picky tenant and more than likely dealing with a bi-polar personality that has fixated on you. When that happens, the individual becomes hyper-focused on their fixation.

You are very vulnerable and I fear you may not realize the seriousness of your potential situation. Never be in the same room with her without a third party (witness). All communications in writing - get an email for just her so your six or eight months of emails are in one spot.

If you are lucky, her fixation will move to someone else, provided she is not provoked into full battle-cry retaliation. This is the type of person where all the teaching staff at her kids' school knows what's coming when they take her calls, the doctor or dentist severs their relationship, or perhaps she has trouble retaining an attorney. No one wants to deal with her.

Documentation is your only weapon. Please trust a total stranger on this. No harm ever came from being prepared to defend yourself.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 AM

51,579 posts, read 25,492,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
You need to start documenting this immediately! You have a larger problem than a picky tenant and more than likely dealing with a bi-polar personality that has fixated on you. When that happens, the individual becomes hyper-focused on their fixation.

You are very vulnerable and I fear you may not realize the seriousness of your potential situation. Never be in the same room with her without a third party (witness). All communications in writing - get an email for just her so your six or eight months of emails are in one spot.

If you are lucky, her fixation will move to someone else, provided she is not provoked into full battle-cry retaliation. This is the type of person where all the teaching staff at her kids' school knows what's coming when they take her calls, the doctor or dentist severs their relationship, or perhaps she has trouble retaining an attorney. No one wants to deal with her.

Documentation is your only weapon. Please trust a total stranger on this. No harm ever came from being prepared to defend yourself.
I'm not sure about the bipolar disorder, sounds more delusional, perhaps Borderline Personality disorder. Hard to say.

But in any case, this is great advice. Document everything. Always have a third party with you whenever you have anything to do with her.

Offer her the opportunity to end the lease early. Be sympathetic with her situation. Safety of the kids is the priority.

Never, ever, ever say anything that could be construed as you being at fault. She will be on that like a duck on a June bug.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Today she's claiming that new window shades are required for privacy (not) and that a handrail is needed at an outside landing - landing is less than 18" high. She is relentless.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:13 AM

10,297 posts, read 7,881,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
Today she's claiming that new window shades are required for privacy (not) and that a handrail is needed at an outside landing - landing is less than 18" high. She is relentless.
She is mentally ill. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Fortunately all leases end eventually; it may take a while and the use of the legal system, but you will eventually be able to get her out of your property (and more importantly, out of your life). Hang in there, and be careful!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:45 PM

Why are people saying she's mentally ill? Because when she asked me for shades and I said NO and she retorted "Do you not want to give us shades because you like to drive by and stare at your tenants? Are you some kind of pervert?" Or was is it when she suggested that landlords should have to submit to a background check, criminal record check, etc to the satisfaction of the tenant?

My attorney suggested that I consider not entering the property even with a third party as she might feel threatened and make accusations against both of us. My attorney is more like my therapist. He is very careful to not spend my retainer on chasing her down or sending letters, etc since we can't get rid of her although I might offer her $3,500 to leave and then get the house ready to sell this spring. If she comes back with $5K I will gladly pay it to get rid of her. If I try to get her out on a technicality, it will look like retaliation against the repairs she is requesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting