Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,948 times

Advertisements

Recently I have moved out of a apartment complex that I lived at for 3 years while attending college. I was moving some furniture and messed up a few planks in the living room of my apartment due to it being glued down cheap laminate wood. I was contacted 3 weeks after my move out about the floor and I said I would take care of the issue and to let me know how much it was going to be. Close to a month goes by and I was told there was a issue with where the flooring was damaged and they could not pull the planks up without pulling up concrete which would result in a building violation if they had a fire for insurance reasons. The landlord told me they re-floored the entire apartment by putting planks over it including the bathroom. I was billed for all the place being re-floored on top of the toilets in the bathroom being reset since he used the same wood in the restrooms(2). I was also notified that the carpets needed to be replaced due to my cat leaving a stench as well as the couch I was renting from them. So my question is am I responsible for paying for all of this? It seems odd that I am being held responsible for a poor installation of the original flooring.

Any tips would help thanks! Also I am in Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 02:12 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Hello first time poster with your story of woe.

Yes, maybe you are responsible for the cost of replacement of the whole thing. If one room is damaged and can't be repaired or matched, and there is no good place to stop, then the rest of the house gets replaced so it all matches. Yes, you are responsible for the cost of replacing the carpet if your cat damaged the carpet.

Yes, you are responsible for the cost of the couch if your cat damaged it.

Replacement cost of the carpet and the couch should be prorated. The laminate, not so much prorating since it is a long lasting product.

You aren't being charged for any poor installation of the flooring, you are being charged for carelessly dragging your furniture around and damaging the flooring. Next time, use some care.

You are also being charged for pet damage. Your pet, your bill.

You and your ilk are why landlords don't like to accept pets. Your pet did damage and here you are online trying to find out how to get away with not paying for the damage.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,948 times
Hello and thank you for your reply!

I understand that I am responsible for my pet and damages that occurred. I guess it was more of it all being thrown at me at once without a heads up seemed odd. As for the flooring I see your point I just was not sure if I would be responsible for all of it or not. I have been told multiple things from people so I figured I would drop this here and get more opinions on the situation.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:50 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PChuck12 View Post

I understand that I am responsible for my pet and damages that occurred. I guess it was more of it all being thrown at me at once without a heads up seemed odd. As for the flooring I see your point I just was not sure if I would be responsible for all of it or not. I have been told multiple things from people so I figured I would drop this here and get more opinions on the situation.
Your lease is your ‘heads up’. I bet it talks about damage and your responsibility for it.

Read your lease and read your state’s landlord/tenant laws. Still have questions? Call a lawyer.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:01 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:

I would check your lease. Was there an inspection before you left? Also, did you have a pet deposit?

Never rent furniture from a landlord. More aggravation than it is worth.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:00 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
OP, why were you allowing your cat to urinate all over the apartment? Rule #1 of litter box avoidance is GET THE CAT TO THE VET. You need to rule out any physical issues, like UTI. If you get a clean bill of health you need to look at behavioral or psychological issues. But you DON'T just ignore it and allow it to continue.

Idiots like you are the reason RESPONSIBLE pet owners have such a hard time finding places to rent that allow pets.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:45 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
OP, why were you allowing your cat to urinate all over the apartment? Rule #1 of litter box avoidance is GET THE CAT TO THE VET. You need to rule out any physical issues, like UTI. If you get a clean bill of health you need to look at behavioral or psychological issues. But you DON'T just ignore it and allow it to continue.

Idiots like you are the reason RESPONSIBLE pet owners have such a hard time finding places to rent that allow pets.
It's possible it only happened once... but pee is pee and just once means the carpet will be ruined. (I've never had much faith in those enzyme cleaners.)

Old 09-12-2020, 12:49 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
It's possible it only happened once... but pee is pee and just once means the carpet will be ruined. (I've never had much faith in those enzyme cleaners.)
The enzyme cleaners are good, but they need to be used correctly and consistently. I also believe that a mere carpet cleaner isn't enough ..... nothing works as well as an extractor, and not just for pee.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:04 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
If pee gets down into the pad and, heaven forbid, the wood floor underneath, those enzymes/cleaners/etc. are going to be next to useless.

We bought a house once with pet odors. I pulled out the carpet and the pad and darned if I didn't have to treat the concrete to get rid of the odor. Part of the house had subflooring under the carpet and the pad. THAT was toast, too.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:59 PM

828 posts, read 415,637 times
Quote:
Recently I have moved out of a apartment complex that I lived at for 3 years while attending college. I was moving some furniture and messed up a few planks in the living room of my apartment due to it being glued down cheap laminate wood. I was contacted 3 weeks after my move out about the floor and I said I would take care of the issue and to let me know how much it was going to be. Close to a month goes by and I was told there was a issue with where the flooring was damaged and they could not pull the planks up without pulling up concrete which would result in a building violation if they had a fire for insurance reasons. The landlord told me they re-floored the entire apartment by putting planks over it including the bathroom. I was billed for all the place being re-floored on top of the toilets in the bathroom being reset since he used the same wood in the restrooms(2). I was also notified that the carpets needed to be replaced due to my cat leaving a stench as well as the couch I was renting from them. So my question is am I responsible for paying for all of this? It seems odd that I am being held responsible for a poor installation of the original flooring.

Any tips would help thanks! Also I am in Georgia.
Not enough info.
What are you calling a few planks? 3 or 100?

But no way you would have to pull up concrete. So someone is wrong. No matter what type of job they did on installation. The planks and whatever glue is not as strong as concrete.
Can be a pain if they are glued down.
You pry/scrape up planks and sometimes have to remove adhesive.

Do you know or have you asked how old the floor was?
Just about all courts will pro rate from its lifespan.

Most Judges will allow for the whole room in question. But very rare the whole property.

You should pay for any damage you caused. And you where wrong to do so.
But the LL lying about the concrete makes me a little more on your side.

Sounds like they may have seen this as a way to redecorate the whole place with you paying for all of it.
I find tenants lie way more than landlords. But there are some dishonest LL out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting