Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,116 times

Advertisements

I am dying from Brain and Lung Cancer here in Huntington Beach, CA. I was going to move into a new apartment with my 80 year old mother and 70 year old aunt. I am now on Chemotherapy and I am too sick to move into my ne place. I never signed the lease. I paid first month deposit and first month rent. I also installed my new refrigerator. I am too sick to move and the Realtor will not return my rent or security or my property. The agent will not give me my money back. I am very sick and don't know what to do......

Please provide me with some direction please

I never signed a lease! I never moved in!

Thank you

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-04-2014 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:08 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
If you never signed a lease why did u pay first month rent? that makes it sound like you are month to month and you moved in since you moved in brand new fridge...

Sorry to hear about your health issues.

You need to give notice like a month to month tenant will have to do and than you will have to receive your security deposit back after you have moved any and all items you put in the property incl. a fridge unless you want to leave that behind.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You need legal counsel to get this sorted out and I'm sure you can get some guidance from Legal Aid or from local social services.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Sorry about your condition man.
My opinion
You agreed to a lease by giving the money you implied a agreement to rent and by moving in your things you took possession. Even without signing a lease. It just translates into a verbal month to month agreement. You would need to give a 30 day notice. You are entitled to your security deposit back but not the monthly rent. The LL is still out that time you took possession even if you did not move in.
NOW.
You give notice the LL (in California) HAS to mitigate. Which means he has to start looking for a tenant even if you have a signed lease. Granted since you're on a month to month you just give 30 day notice. There is really nothing to mitigate. The mitigation would be implemented if you were on a year lease and works something like this.
You sign a year lease. You give notice. You are responsible for paying the rent but LL has to actively seek a new tenant.
LL finds a tenant and the house is rerented while you are not there the LL HAS to refund the money or portion of the money you paid for that month. Example. Say you paid for November but did not move in. The LL finds tenant to move in on Nov 5th. The LL can't charge you for a full month rent and charge the other tenant for the remainder of the month. It's illegal.

You need to give proper notice to agent/manager/LL ( whomever is the person that you would sign lease with and has the authority to manage/make decision on the rental)

On a personal note, Christ i would just give you your money back. I hope the treatment works for you. I really do. Hope you get it figured out. I would call some free legal aid but I'm not sure they can do much. You won't get all your money back. But you should get your property and security deposit if you did everything correctly

Good luck

Old 11-05-2014, 04:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I am very sorry for your illness and this situation. Does your hospital have a social worker who could help you with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting