Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I have a 2/1 I'm trying to rent and I am having an awful time this go-round.
In the past we had numerous applicants, some good, some bad.
What was the nature of these past applicants?
The better ones in particular.

TWO bedroom homes are kind of an odd duck...
usually/often only appealing to the peripheral renter market:
downsizing retiree, newlywed type couples and middle aged singles.

Families with kids (the most common house renters) will need more BR space.

Quote:
The backyard is fenced in and has a large concrete patio.
Walkable to schools, 3 minute walk to bus stops, quiet street.
Your next segment are dog people who want/need a fenced yard.

Quote:
Rent is $725/month ...
From here... that seems too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 04:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What was the nature of these past applicants?
The better ones in particular.

TWO bedroom homes are kind of an odd duck...
usually/often only appealing to the peripheral renter market:
downsizing retiree, newlywed type couples and middle aged singles.

Families with kids (the most common house renters) will need more BR space.

Your next segment are dog people who want/need a fenced yard.

From here... that seems too high.

I think the problem is the neighborhood. The OP said it's not in a nice area and that really dictactes the 'type' of applicants you're going to get. Good tenants don't normally apply in shady areas.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
The area isn't bad. I certainly wouldn't call it shady. It's not the upper-middle class vinyl village kind of area. More blue collar, older folks.

As far as dogs, we don't mind them, but everyone who has applied and has a dog wants to bring a pit bull. We do not allow them, nor does our insurance company. Got a labrador? Come on. Pits, shepards, rotties, etc., no way.

As for rent being too high, we are probably underpriced a little. One applicant was paying g 995/month right around the corner for a 2/1. We had to decline them because of a not-so-good recommendation and they still owe the prior LL money. They also lied on the app.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
The area isn't bad. I certainly wouldn't call it shady. It's not the upper-middle class vinyl village kind of area. More blue collar, older folks.
I'm inclined to agree with those who say that it's just not a good time of year - wherever the rental is located. People in general have more on their minds with the upcoming holiday season than moving house. Hang in there - this too shall pass!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
try Trulia, Padlister and postlets instead of Craigslist

Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
As far as dogs, we don't mind them, but everyone who has applied and has a dog wants to bring a pit bull. We do not allow them, nor does our insurance company. Got a labrador? Come on. Pits, shepards, rotties, etc., no way.
Some insurance companies do allow them. I have had rottweilers for years and have Travelers insurance. The short time that we rented, we got renter's insurance that covered our dog in the event that she bit someone. The caveat with Allstate was that our dog could not be a full bred breed of rottweiler, pit bull, or doberman. My dog is not, but honestly, unless a dog is AKC registered, I doubt that it could be proven that it is full bred.

There is an insurance company that covers any dog that passes the Good Canine Citizenship test. It's a good indication of the dog's likelihood of aggressive behavior.

One thing I found out later is that although the law does not hold landlords responsible for a dog who attacks someone unless the landlord knew the dog was aggressive or had physical possession of the dog when the attack occurred, the landlord is always initially named in the lawsuit even though the landlord is later cleared. Just getting out of the suit could be expensive. If I were considering renting to a person who had a large breed dog, I would ask for an additional deposit that could be used towards an attorney's retainer. As a renter, I would have paid it.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
[quote=spankys bbq;37249951]

The house has hardwoods in the living room and bedrooms, VCT in the kitchen and laundry closet (it's not really big enough to call it a laundry room), and ceramic tile in the bathroom. The hardwoods are in 85% shape. The backyard is fenced in and has a large concrete patio. The neighborhood isn't great, but it's one I would live in if I had to. Walkable to schools, 3 minute walk to bus stops, quiet street. Rent is $725/month with optional lawn care for $60/month.
quote]

What exaclty does this mean then? If the area isn't great, you're not going to get top notch tenants. I"m only commenting on the words you wrote.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 AM

5,181 posts, read 6,136,412 times
We have always had trouble this time a year.........we can never seem to get out of the October, November, December vacancy problem cycle. Lots of holidays and what not!

Another drawback is only having one bathroom.........times have changed and Americans want the extra bath.......we have lost because of that. My generation (my friends) grew up with many siblings and one bathroom houses.....it was the norm.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Spanky its a tough time in Charlotte this time of year, but can be done. Have you considered only using a property manager to market and find a tenant? Yes they might charge 1/2 of the first month's rent, but it might be worth your time.

What part of town?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Sun, I am the property manager. We have close to 50 units. I'm not bringing in an outside PM for this. Not to mention the fact that the people who control the check ook wouldn't even consider it if it was needed. My grandmother owns the company and my aunt controls the financials. I do pretty much everything else.

KiminFL, by not great I don't mean it's a slum neighborhood, not by any stretch. It's older houses that are in pretty good shape but the surrounding areas have a rough-ish reputation. I'd have no problem living in the neighborhood. I'm going to have to stick with the theory that it's just the time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting