Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:30 PM

274 posts, read 426,960 times

Advertisements

we rarely do insurance claims, and when we do its pretty big...i.e. the unit above leaked into bottom unit all winter so bottom unit needed to be completely gutted due to water and mold damage (we do vacation condo's). All our association policies have a 5-15k deductible. Even if this was a HOA policy that wouldnt' be worth a claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Actually You DO want the claim on your insurance! Even tho you fixing it the cost would go towards you deductible. When the wind got up do to a tornado my son had damage his deductiable was $500 That's what the ins co est it would be to fix it. BUT the next time he had damage a kid thru a ball thru the window the ins came out & then called the place to fix the window... they also handled my neighbors to get her to cover the bill! I think the window & install was $200 IF he had not reported the wind damage they never would have fixed the window... He was working & did fix the wind damage BUT unemployed when the window got broke it was Freezing out! His ins rates did not go up BTW!!

Old 11-17-2014, 02:19 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Consult your attorney however, I would think any deductable would not be met for this type of replacement and repair.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 3,334 times
Talking Warrant of habitability - Yay!

Just a shout out now. I just had my doors busted last night in NYC. I'm a renter and was concerned about who'd foot the bill.

I REALLY like your argument - warrant of habitability. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
......However, from a landlord tenant perspective, you are 100% responsible for fixing the door to make the rental habitable for your tenant and to prevent the tenant from suing you in court for a breech of the lease...

Old 12-24-2018, 10:26 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmnyc View Post
Just a shout out now. I just had my doors busted last night in NYC. I'm a renter and was concerned about who'd foot the bill.

I REALLY like your argument - warrant of habitability. Thanks!

Why was your door busted in?

Old 12-24-2018, 12:30 PM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
The owner/landlord is responsible for making the residence safe and repairing this damage. I can't even fathom why you would think your tenants could be held responsible for paying.
If the tenants left the gas on, it would be their responsibility. the OP doesn't say where the gas was coming from.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:57 PM

453 posts, read 409,862 times
Unless you can prove tenant negligence, you are going to absorb the cost one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting