Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:57 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
they don't care the sob stories...they hear them month after month and it gets old real quick.
That's the thing. I think the OP should say something like this, if it even gets brought up:

"My felony conviction was based on a minor drug related charge 13 years ago. I have had no legal problems since and don't use drugs." Most landlords will probably believe that versus, "I was framed by the man."

Old 11-25-2014, 03:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post

1. How do you know that I am not a landlord? Clearly, you don't.
2. Therefore your premise that no one will believe what she said is incorrect.
1. I'm quite sure you're not and never have been.

2. There is no "therefore". The question of whether or not a LL would believe her is totally irrelevant. You appear to be arguing for the sake of argument.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:15 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1. I'm quite sure you're not and never have been.

2. There is no "therefore". The question of whether or not a LL would believe her is totally irrelevant. You appear to be arguing for the sake of argument.
I'll ask you the same question that you neglected to answer before:

How is telling the truth not 'owning her past'?

Old 11-25-2014, 04:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I'll ask you the same question that you neglected to answer before:

How is telling the truth not 'owning her past'?
And I will be polite enough to respond but only to tell you that I've no interest in getting into a philosophical discussion about "owning a past" on a rental forum whose purpose is to help people with general renting issues.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And I will be polite enough to respond but only to tell you that I've no interest in getting into a philosophical discussion about "owning a past" on a rental forum whose purpose is to help people with general renting issues.
Hey, you were the one that brought it up, not me. My point is that you are basically calling her a liar by making a statement like that. That's a pretty severe accusation to make against someone you don't even know.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:14 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Actually, I brought it up.

Obviously no one here is going to convince you.

But for the record, since I'm the one who said it originally here, to me owning your past means accepting that what happened, happened, and you can't change it. Accept it, move past it, and move on with your life, instead of playing the "woe is me" card 13 years later and looking for sympathy.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

But for the record, since I'm the one who said it originally here, to me owning your past means accepting that what happened, happened, and you can't change it. Accept it, move past it, and move on with your life, instead of playing the "woe is me" card 13 years later and looking for sympathy.
So based upon your logic, someone should lie about what happened in the past? Admit to doing something that they didn't do...that would be 'owning' their past?

Let's just say that I vociferously disagree with you.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
So based upon your logic, someone should lie about what happened in the past? Admit to doing something that they didn't do...that would be 'owning' their past?

Let's just say that I vociferously disagree with you.

It's been 13 yrs and if she was truly innocent she would've done whatever she could to over turn her conviction. It happens quite a bit, especially in cases involving DNA and rape. So yeah, she might (a very big might at that) be innocent, but I doubt it. Why? She's a convicted felon....nuff said.

Kudos to you for believing her story...have you offered her a room in your home yet? She needs a place to live and you are defending her tooth and nail so why don't you offer to put her up in your home or co sign a lease for her?

ps: we all know you're not a landlord

Old 11-26-2014, 03:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

You nailed it! That's exactly what it means...you don't point fingers at every Tom, Dick and Harry when you're telling someone about YOUR felony...you own it, you admit you screwed up and you focus on the present and where you are (job, income, credit, criminal record etc)

Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's been 13 yrs and if she was truly innocent she would've done whatever she could to over turn her conviction. It happens quite a bit, especially in cases involving DNA and rape. So yeah, she might (a very big might at that) be innocent, but I doubt it. Why? She's a convicted felon....nuff said.

Kudos to you for believing her story...have you offered her a room in your home yet? She needs a place to live and you are defending her tooth and nail so why don't you offer to put her up in your home or co sign a lease for her?

ps: we all know you're not a landlord
What does 'doing whatever she can' to overturn the felony consist of? DNA evidence does not help in a case like this, it's the police officers word vs. hers.

Being a convicted felon proves nothing in a system laden with corruption and fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting