Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,075 times

Advertisements

My Landlord RefMy Landlord Evicted me for Non payment of rent October 2014. I was a long and Messy Process starting the month of July 2014. My Landlord Claim that I was a peace disturbance to the property, she refused my rent during this process, but took me to court for non payment. So I got a lawyer to prove that she was trying to manipulate the system by evicting me for non payment when I was willing to pay, and not practicing proper procedures to evict a tenant accused of disturbances she knew she was unable to prove in court. I won that case and the judge advise my landlord that if she feels I am a problem ten at to properly evict me on those grounds. So in July 2014 she sent me another notice to terminate lease because of the May 2014 disturbance complaint and that she wants to proceed with eviction. At that time she against refuse rental payments from my caseworker, but filed a non payment eviction But this time. I was tired of my landlords harrasment so I sat down with here lawyer who agreed that i won't have to pay any back rents or fees if I can move in a months time. We got it in writing and I signed it. It is November 2014 and I just received a letter from my landlord request payment for rent and Late fees from July to October 2014, Fee for terminating my lease, Fileing fee and 100$ for removing my things the letter also states that the apartment has been re-rented since April 2014 and if I don't make payment she will report me to collection. Me and my kids are homeless now not because I have no money but because on my renters credit it has a problem tenant and a tenant who doesn't pay rent. Help I feel very Violated by my Landlord......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 09:08 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
What does your lawyer have to say about all this? Sounds like your LL is going back on a legal document she signed about collecting past rent (?). Get back in touch with your lawyer.

In the meantime, find out what services (housing, food, healthcare) there are for you and your children.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,075 times
My Lawyer Is no longer involved with my case because we won, she was a public lawyer via legal aid but that agency claims they no longer handle cases for Nj public assistance tenants who rent non public or sate housing but only tenants who receive section 8 and live in public housing. I was shot down this time.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:13 AM

139 posts, read 311,010 times
Just curious, what did you do for a peace disturbance? I do not see a landlord refusing payment from a tenant just for the heck of it? I would guess that the landlord was getting complaints about your family from long term good tenants who were threatening to move.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:47 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Call your caseworker.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Do you have the paperwork from the case stating the facts of your termination?

Old 11-22-2014, 04:43 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
If you have documentation on what was agreed to then write a simple*business-like letter to your previous landlord disputing the charges now being demanded. If you're unsure how to deal with it, speak to someone in your local Legal Aid office - again - or, as suggested, to your caseworker. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting