Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 PM

575 posts, read 1,467,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I imagine coming onto a forum for the first time and being lambasted left, right and center might deter someone from coming back. I wonder how many more posters are going to chime in with the same snotty comments ...
I always wonder this. There are a lot of rather rude individuals who roam these forums and feel the need to be condescending almost every time they post. I know we all have our moments but some people seem to be stuck in theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:48 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,249,335 times
But some are really hard to believe.

Lived next to creepy neighbor who screams/pounds on walls/stares out of blinds for over a year. Why not move?

LL in charge of a small complex is missing in action. Maybe the strange neighbor stares out the window over the area where he buried her.

Anyway, to the OP: If your neighbor is an "old man" and exhibiting strange behavior & could possibly be harmful to himself or others? Call Adult Protective Services.

Last edited by Informed Info; 11-25-2014 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 01:57 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,667,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
I always wonder this. There are a lot of rather rude individuals who roam these forums and feel the need to be condescending almost every time they post. I know we all have our moments but some people seem to be stuck in theirs.
I am aware of this, also. Especiallly a few appear to be consistently cocky, "self-appointed authorities", wanting to run the show and put down other members. Otherwise, it seems that many are kind and act like adults.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:40 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,836,715 times
Well now i have to clean chicken fried rice off my monitor because i laughed so hard at some of the replies. Ya'll are a hoot tonight.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:36 PM

638 posts, read 977,327 times
You're living in a movie! Awesome! Grab some popcorn and see what happens. Oh yeah, keep a gun close by, I always hate those thriller movies where the main character never invests in a pistol of some sorts.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,684,045 times
If he starts chasing you, it is standard (and required) to turn back screaming and fall down. And you can't just jump back up. Start crawling. And you can't leave the building either. You have to hide, preferably in a closet or under a bed.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:44 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,836,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
If he starts chasing you, it is standard (and required) to turn back screaming and fall down. And you can't just jump back up. Start crawling. And you can't leave the building either. You have to hide, preferably in a closet or under a bed.
and never turn on any lights either!

Old 01-02-2015, 07:13 PM

102,176 posts, read 107,718,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
But some are really hard to believe.

Lived next to creepy neighbor who screams/pounds on walls/stares out of blinds for over a year. Why not move?
I thought she did a pretty good job of explaining that. She loves the location, and the reasonable rent.

OP, is there no supervisor in your building? If so, talk to him/her about the problem. Request a meeting (not just a chat passing in the hall), and discuss. The super may know all about the man. Or alternatively, might be concerned about the screams that never got reported. If there's no super, call the landlord. If you get an answering machine, say you have a serious concern about the neighbor, and that there have been times when you've wondered if you should call the police or an ambulance. That will get the landlord's attention.

btw, how old is the landlady? Any chance your neighbor might be a relative of hers? Consider telling the landlady you'd like to change units when a vacant one comes available.

The next time you hear screaming, call 911.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-02-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,565,799 times
How do you get 10 reps on 1 post?

Call 911 and start looking for another place to live.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,095,681 times
OP, there are 3 issues here - and you should find someone at your college to discuss these - preferably a counsellor/advisor/housing advocate:

Issue #1 -
Screaming, banging late at night - Call 911. Hiding inside your apt is not a solution

Issue #2 -
Landlord not responsive - by phone; office. Snail mail and certified snail mail, RRR

Issue #3 -
Feeling unsafe. While I suggest you discuss all 3 issues with someone at school, this is the one issue that only you can deal with. It's your feeling. You need to find some way that you can feel safe - and it's not by having a gun around or calling others for help. It's learning what you can do to effect a change in how you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting