Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,805 times

Advertisements

I am a university student in a small city. I live in a small apartment complex with my boyfriend right beside my university. It is the perfect apartment for a student because it is so close you can walk to all your classes, rent is really great, and it's in a decent area.
It would be absolutely perfect if not for my creepy neighbor. I've had problems dealing with him since I moved in over a year ago. For starters, he's just kind of strange. He leaves his front door open most of the time. Not that it's any of my business or it really affects me, but his apartment is absolutely littered with books, papers, and trash. We immediately took notice of this when moving in and found it a bit strange. But of course, we shrugged it off because, like I said, not my business. Eventually we ran in to the neighbor and found that he is an old man. Again, we found it strange that he is living in apartments clearly meant for college students. But still not a huge deal.
Eventually, though, he started to become a real problem. Within a month or so of moving in, we started hearing terrible screaming from the apartment at night. It was always following by loud bangs and it was terrifying. But we didn't really know what to do so we just made sure to lock our door and tried to avoid seeing the neighbor.
But then he started to become a real creep. He just starts banging on our walls randomly. Sometimes it's when we shut a door. Not loudly, just at normal door-shutting volume. But one time it was when my boyfriend bumped his head on the wall while laughing. and one night, he repeatedly beat on my wall while I was just reading in bed. I was just silently reading while home alone and he beat on my wall numerous times. And occasionally, when I walk past his window, I find him standing there just staring through the blinds.
I have no idea what to do about this problem. He genuinely scares me. I am afraid when I am home alone. I don't leave my apartment at night if I am alone. I have tried speaking to the landlord. When I call, she doesn't answer. When I visit her office, she is not there. I am afraid to confront my neighbor because I do not think he is of stable mind and he could be volatile.
What can I do. I am so tired of not feeling safe in my own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Okay, you are a college student and it has not occurred to yet to call the police? Screaming and loud crashing sounds in the middle of the night weren't a clue?

Send a letter to your landlord as well if you can't reach them by phone.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexichay View Post
I am a university student in a small city. I live in a small apartment complex with my boyfriend right beside my university. It is the perfect apartment for a student because it is so close you can walk to all your classes, rent is really great, and it's in a decent area.
It would be absolutely perfect if not for my creepy neighbor. I've had problems dealing with him since I moved in over a year ago. For starters, he's just kind of strange. He leaves his front door open most of the time. Not that it's any of my business or it really affects me, but his apartment is absolutely littered with books, papers, and trash. We immediately took notice of this when moving in and found it a bit strange. But of course, we shrugged it off because, like I said, not my business. Eventually we ran in to the neighbor and found that he is an old man. Again, we found it strange that he is living in apartments clearly meant for college students. But still not a huge deal.
Eventually, though, he started to become a real problem. Within a month or so of moving in, we started hearing terrible screaming from the apartment at night. It was always following by loud bangs and it was terrifying. But we didn't really know what to do so we just made sure to lock our door and tried to avoid seeing the neighbor.
But then he started to become a real creep. He just starts banging on our walls randomly. Sometimes it's when we shut a door. Not loudly, just at normal door-shutting volume. But one time it was when my boyfriend bumped his head on the wall while laughing. and one night, he repeatedly beat on my wall while I was just reading in bed. I was just silently reading while home alone and he beat on my wall numerous times. And occasionally, when I walk past his window, I find him standing there just staring through the blinds.
I have no idea what to do about this problem. He genuinely scares me. I am afraid when I am home alone. I don't leave my apartment at night if I am alone. I have tried speaking to the landlord. When I call, she doesn't answer. When I visit her office, she is not there. I am afraid to confront my neighbor because I do not think he is of stable mind and he could be volatile.
What can I do. I am so tired of not feeling safe in my own home.
I understand why you would consider him creepy. A couple things to think about:

Why would an old man be living in an apartment "clearly meant" for college students? Well, he may have been living there long before most of the college students.

From what you have written, it doesn't sound like he has done or said anything to you. You are just creeped out by his general existence.

You have no need to confront him. If you read the Renting forum, you will see that banging on the walls happens fairly often in apartments. You can bang back, or you can call the police.

To me, your most pressing problem is that you cannot reach your landlord. That is not normal or desirable AT ALL.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:23 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Soooo you heard "terrible screaming" coming from his apartment at night, followed by loud bangs, and your reaction was simply to lock your door?

Remind me never to move in next to you...

Old 11-24-2014, 06:26 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
There is a great service offered by cities called 911 for problems like this. You probably won't learn about it in your college courses because it is taught mostly to children.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexichay View Post
I am a university student in a small city. ...... Within a month or so of moving in, we started hearing terrible screaming from the apartment at night. It was always following by loud bangs and it was terrifying. But we didn't really know what to do so we just made sure to lock our door and tried to avoid seeing the neighbor.

I worry about your GPA. Basic knowledge 101 (OMG, the "basic knowledge poster has affected me) taught to preschoolers everywhere in the USA....dial 911.

9 is to the right of 8.
1 is to the left of 2. Press that one twice.

Seriously, you "didn't know what to do"? WTF?

Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM

57 posts, read 75,433 times
Maybe he is practicing his dance moves. Maybe he's having fun with himself.

He has done nothing to you. Either you're exaggerating or you don't know how to dial 911 when you clearly should. I am guessing the former.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:35 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Another 1 hit wonder.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Another 1 hit wonder.
I imagine coming onto a forum for the first time and being lambasted left, right and center might deter someone from coming back. I wonder how many more posters are going to chime in with the same snotty comments ...

Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
He could also be a Vet with PTSD! My son is Not a Vet he has PTSD from being hit by a car crossing the street. At times her Screams blood curdling screams! Now my Service Dog Katie comes to get me Before the screams I just go into his room & wake him.

But on the other note YES! call the Police! Don't just sit there... he could have fallen & needs help!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Last edited by Katie1; 11-24-2014 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting