Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 08:01 AM

361 posts, read 724,843 times

Advertisements

Hi..

I just moved in this new house with 2 other girls. I have the master bedroom so of course I'm paying more. The bedroom has a lock but after a month of looking for the key she still cannot find it. The fact that the master bedroom has a lock was one of the reasons I decided to move in.

I suggested to her that we could share the cost of installing new locks. It would cost us around 35 pounds if we split.
She's not willing to split but it but is ok with me doing it on my own.

I feel like since the bedroom came with the key we should at least share the cost of getting a new lock.

She is a nice lady and I don't want to create any problems but is paying for a new lock something that she's supposed to do since the bedroom came with one and she cannot find the key?

Thanks

Lexi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I noticed you are in the UK. Unfortunately, most on these forums do not know local laws for what is required outside the US.

As a landlord in the US, I would answer that in my opinion, if your lease is for all 3 girls for the whole house (as opposed to a separate lease for each of you for just your room), the landlord doesn't need to provide locks on the bedroom doors at all. In most of our rentals, the bedroom doors just have super simple locks that can be opened with a small screwdriver or similar tool. No keys. So if we didn't have a key to the lock, we'd just change to one of those, since they are standard. In fact, if a tenant wants to put keyed locks on any interior knobs, we require they change back to the originals at move out, or else we charge them from their deposit to change them back. We don't want more keys to keep track of.

Now, if you are renting just your room on your own separate lease, that is a completely different thing, and they should provide each room with a working lock and key.

But again, I don't know if the UK has any specific regulations about this.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:59 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
More US based info, but when something's damaged it's normally covered under a "Remove, replace or repair" mentality. In this case you could easily scratch out the "remove" aspect, which leaves with replace or repair. Be warned, replacement would be achieved with a NON-LOCKING door knob just as easily.

Were I in your shoes, I'd simply remove the knob and take it in to a locksmith shop. They can re-key it for you in a few minutes, costs about 10 USD here in the states, just make sure you get 3 (yes Three) keys as you'll be required to provide one to your LL. Then you have the one you use daily and a spare/backup.

Pick your battles, this one just isn't worth fighting over the small $$$ involved.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:40 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Are locking door knobs for interior doors that expensive in the UK? You can get one for about $10 in the US.

Editing to add: I searched for some on Amazon UK. Here are a few less expensive options:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guard-Securi...ing+door+knobs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schlage-Brig...ing+door+knobs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Round-Ball-L...ing+door+knobs

Old 11-25-2014, 05:35 PM

361 posts, read 724,843 times
It's one lease for all of us.

Door knobs are not commonly used over here. Door handles similar to this
Cherry Blossom Lock Industry C 6330 Chinese lock / handle lock / bedroom wood room door / mechanical locks-in Desk & Table Clocks from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group are more common.

The Locksmiths I contacted have told me that it'd be easier to just change the lock altogether for about 70 pounds with Vat.

I don't have the equipment to do it myself--not even a screwdriver- so if I decide to change it I will just have them come over at the house and do that.

On a side note, Hookie, you'd be shocked at the price of certain things over here compared to the states. Just the other I tried to get a bill of sale notarized and was asked to pay 120 pounds, almost $200!!! They don't do that at the bank either.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Sounds like you need to ask a different locksmith, mentioning you'll bring it to them... and invest in an Ikea basic tool kit. Because keying a lock is Not difficult work, though they absolutely make less money. That's the kind of skeezy/slimy stuff I'd expect of an American locksmith (it's a fall-back news story on slow weeks, just how scummy Are your local locksmiths, news at 11).

But, regardless, it sounds like this one is all you. Have any handy friends? Maybe time to make friends with someone who rides an older motorcycle... stay away from anyone with Only newer, you're likely to more skilled with a spanner than they will.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:24 PM

240 posts, read 239,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Hi..

I just moved in this new house with 2 other girls. I have the master bedroom so of course I'm paying more. The bedroom has a lock but after a month of looking for the key she still cannot find it. The fact that the master bedroom has a lock was one of the reasons I decided to move in.

I suggested to her that we could share the cost of installing new locks. It would cost us around 35 pounds if we split.
She's not willing to split but it but is ok with me doing it on my own.

I feel like since the bedroom came with the key we should at least share the cost of getting a new lock.

She is a nice lady and I don't want to create any problems but is paying for a new lock something that she's supposed to do since the bedroom came with one and she cannot find the key?

Thanks

Lexi
Not typrically, its inside the house, its a small item and it worked when he installed it

Old 11-27-2014, 09:14 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
I am a locksmith here in the us. You do not have ti replace the whole lock. If you open the door, there is a screw in line with the profile cylinder. Remove screw. Turn thumb turn while pushing cylinder keyhole towards the inside of the room. Now you have the cylinder in your hand. This one piece is all you need to take to the locksmith to get a key made/rekeyed. Our shop charges 20.00 for this. Profile cylinders are more common over there, so pricing should reflect that.

Here is how to remove your cylinder- since you do not have a working key, you may have to turn the thumb turn to align the tailpiece for removal.

How to Remove/Measure + Re-install a Euro Profile Cylinder - for uPVC or Aluminium door - YouTube

This is not difficult and I'm sure you can borrow a screwdriver from a friend. You can do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting