Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,074 times

Advertisements

My first post so please go easy on me.

I have been in my current property for 5 years. Same landlord and as I have been such a good tenant we don't have a lease. I pay my rent and life is good.

The landlord has just been served with divorce papers by his wife (who, BTW, is NOT on the property's mortgage nor named as landlord on the original lease documentation). Earlier this week the landlord's wife sent me an email asking that I vacate by 1/15/2015.

Now, my landlord does not want this to happen - he wants me to stay in the property as long as possible, as do I. So, he wants to draft a new lease effective 1/1/2015 which is good through 12/31/2015 and insert a 90 day notice period.

My question is, however, as his wife (who, in all practical terms is as much a landlord as he is) has already given me notice to vacate, would this notice override any subsequent lease document? Put another way, does her written notice supercede any lease document/agreement that I may reach with her husband - my "other" landlord?

BTW, I live in Texas.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 04:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
No, his wife has no legal standing in your contract with the landlord. She might have legal standing regarding Community Property, but she would still be bound to honor any legal contracts that encumber the property, such as a lease. Her legal standing would need to be determined by the courts. If the husband owned the property before they married, and he has made all of the payments out of his income, then she may not even have community property rights.

Also an email is not proper legal notice to terminate a contract. I would not vacate based on her email. She probably has some legal hurdles to pass before she has any legal standing regarding her joint ownership of the property.

I would not hesitate to sign a lease for a one year renewal.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:58 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
No, his wife has no legal standing in your contract with the landlord. She might have legal standing regarding Community Property, but she would still be bound to honor any legal contracts that encumber the property, such as a lease. Her legal standing would need to be determined by the courts. If the husband owned the property before they married, and he has made all of the payments out of his income, then she may not even have community property rights.

Also an email is not proper legal notice to terminate a contract. I would not vacate based on her email. She probably has some legal hurdles to pass before she has any legal standing regarding her joint ownership of the property.

I would not hesitate to sign a lease for a one year renewal.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
This happened to me on a business property I was leasing. It was a handshake lease deal, and the two business partners who owned the space started fighting. The wife (who was not a partner) of one partner told me to leave ASAP, the other told me to stay. My lawyer told me to pay rent to the partner who wanted me to stay.

I did that for about a year before my business outgrew the space and I had to move.

Standard IANAL disclaimers. I now wonder if I should have just dumped the rent into an escrow account, but it worked out fine for me.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Also in agreement with CaptRn.

In fact, sign the new lease ASAP. Also, absent a court order, do not take any instructions from the future ex-wife such as where to send rent checks.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I agree too. Ignore her email and don't get into ANY discussion whatsoever with her concerning the property. You deal with the person with whom you signed the lease and are beholden to nobody else.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I'm with CptnRn too. Your lease us with the owner of the property. The wife may have no claim to the property even if married. I would completely disregard the wifes notice. Until you get a notice from the legal owner she can't do squat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting