Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 11,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No. But given that her boyfriend has moved in and she's brought in an unneutered cat without permission, what's to stop you from letting the LL know what's going on? He can certainly oust the boyfriend and the cat and then maybe she'll just decide to leave and nothing will be due if, as you say, you and your boyfriend can afford the rent on your own. I don't advocate getting neighbors involved - talk to your landlord.
Very true, I had thought of that I was just honestly kind of scared the landlord would tell me to deal with it myself or something. But when you put it that way, an unnueterd pet and a boyfriend who moved in without anyone's consent. I mean, that is a big deal right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 09:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbilynnc View Post
I mean, that is a big deal right?
If your LL gives a rat's patootie about his property, yes it is. There's nothing YOU can do about it as any change to the lease has to be contingent upon the agreement of all parties.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Ahhhh. You're right. Thank you.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:15 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No. But given that her boyfriend has moved in and she's brought in an unneutered cat without permission, what's to stop you from letting the LL know what's going on? He can certainly oust the boyfriend and the cat and then maybe she'll just decide to leave and nothing will be due if, as you say, you and your boyfriend can afford the rent on your own. I don't advocate getting neighbors involved - talk to your landlord.
I'm curious how the landlord can oust the others.

I have this going on right now with a tenant. We rent to one man. His grown daughter also has permission to live there (listed as an occupant on the lease, as she was under 18 when they first moved in). She has moved in her boyfriend, who is a felon and he keeps bringing more people in. The tenant says he has called the police and they tell him it is his problem as he is letting them stay there. The only thing I know of that I am able to do as the landlord is give the tenant a 3 day notice to reperfect. In other words, he has 3 days to get everyone to move out, or we evict him, along with them.

I don't know of anything a landlord can do other than this to get unauthorized guests out of the house. I have power over my tenant, not his guests.

If the tenant moves out, I can evict "John and Jane Doe #1, 2 and 3" and have the sheriff move them out, but if the tenant is still living there, I have to evict "Tenant + John and Jane Doe #1, 2 and 3". The sheriff won't pick and choose belongings to move. They make the house empty.

Maybe this is a "different states, different rules" thing.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:42 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,698 times
STT and Lacerta are right. I don't think the LL can't evict your roommate without evicting you too. But you may be able to go to the landlord, tell them what's going on (if I were your LL, I'd definitely care about an unauthorized resident, a cat that's damaging my unit and the fact that they're disturbing the neighbors). He could then possibly tell her that she can either be evicted, or voluntarily leave and the LL can remove her from the lease but allow you and your bf to stay. If the roommate refuses to comply, the LL may get her to agree to at least allow you and your bf to be removed from the lease so you can get the hell out of there. Whatever you do, you definitely don't want to be stuck where you are. You will be jointly responsible for any damages her and her bf cause.

Also... you may be able to evict the bf yourself although I don't see that going over too well with your roommate.

EDIT: I want to add, worst comes to worst, you may be able to do what another poster suggested and work with your neighbors to call the police for a noise disturbance when they're partying. If they are underage, that would solve your problem pretty quick. Just make sure you don't get yourself in trouble for contributing to minors even though you're not the one doing it.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I'm curious how the landlord can oust the others.
Others? If the boyfriend is neither on the lease nor listed on it as an occupant (which it seems clear he's not) then the LL can demand his removal. As you said, with a notice to cure or quit. If the cat has been brought in without permission (and since the OP paid a pet deposit but the roommate didn't for her cat, that's clear as well) the LL can issue a cure or quit for that.

Since all three legal tenants are on the lease and this discord is only caused by one of them, I assume the LL would have to address the cure or quit to all tenants and, if the defaults weren't remedied, any legal action would have to be taken against all three.

But I think we can weight the odds in the favor of the OP that it'll not get to that point and that, if the LL puts his foot down, the boyfriend and the cat will be gone. In which case the problem tenant, deprived of the comfort of her boyfriend and her cat, will likely want to leave too and both the LL and the remaining two tenants will happily sign her off the lease and peace will reign.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:30 AM

I live in California not sure if I mentioned that OR if it is even relevant. They are not underage, well actually now that I think about it her boyfriend hasn't turned 21 yet. So maybe that could work, the next time they throw one of these horrible parties. I guess what I've gotten from this is, TRY to talk to my LL and see where he stands in all this. I asked my father (he rents to tenants also) and he said the fact that I never told the LL before her boyfriend was there might pose a problem? I just didn't think him spending the night the first few nights would lead to a long term thing.. When I mentioned this to her she told me it was her room and she may have who ever she wants in it. It's horrible.. So I guess I just have to talk to my LL and see what he thinks about this horrible violent cat and this horrible person living in my house -_-

Old 12-12-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbilynnc View Post
I asked my father (he rents to tenants also) and he said the fact that I never told the LL before her boyfriend was there might pose a problem?
Not at all. Like any reasonable person, you likely thought it would be for a night or two and only when you realized that he'd actually moved in did it become a problem which has escalated with the parties, the addition of the unfixed cat spraying, etc. You paid a deposit for your own cat but I doubt the LL will be too thrilled to know that an unneutered cat is spraying all the place.

You and your boyfriend make an appointment to sit down with the LL and tell him (quietly and without drama) exactly what's going on and ask him how "we" might go about resolving the problems. Stick to facts and leave out the emotions. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Thank you so so much. I think that's going to be the best bet, emotions aside the true facts. She is technically always days late paying rent also, she is lucky we have enough to swing it for those few days she doesn't give rent. The cat really is the biggest peeve though. You're roght. Time to call LL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting