Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,297 times

Advertisements

I am in Georgia. My landlord rents units by the room, as opposed to renting by the unit. I rent one room in a three-bedroom apartment, one of the other rooms is occupied, and the third room is vacant. I asked my landlord if my husband would be able to live in my apartment. My landlord said he could live there if he rents the third room. Can my landlord legally refuse to allow my husband to live with me in my room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Yes, the landlord can refuse anyone as a tenant who has not already been approved. I assume you have a signed lease. It should list who is approved to live there. Anyone who is not on the signed lease has no rights to move in.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You're not renting an apartment, you're renting a room with use of communal space. Yes, your LL can refuse to allow you to have anybody else in your room but is apparently willing to bend his rule by allowing your husband in as an additional tenant renting his own room.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I'm trying to figure out the landlord's logic. My thinking is that he wants to control the number of people who live in the house, and wants them all to pay equal rent. If you and your husband have to pay the amount for two people in two separate rooms, you might as well enjoy the extra living space.

But, he doesn't have to let you move in another person (spouse or not), and expect to pay less rent per person.

Even if you were renting an apartment on your own, you couldn't just move in another person, even a new spouse, without approval from the landlord. The landlord can't deny the person based on things disallowed by discrimination laws, but can deny based on occupancy limits, or credit or background check, etc.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Yes, the landlord can refuse anyone as a tenant who has not already been approved. I assume you have a signed lease. It should list who is approved to live there. Anyone who is not on the signed lease has no rights to move in.

Define "move in". and "live there".

Old 12-13-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm trying to figure out the landlord's logic. My thinking is that he wants to control the number of people who live in the house, and wants them all to pay equal rent. If you and your husband have to pay the amount for two people in two separate rooms, you might as well enjoy the extra living space.

But, he doesn't have to let you move in another person (spouse or not), and expect to pay less rent per person.

Even if you were renting an apartment on your own, you couldn't just move in another person, even a new spouse, without approval from the landlord. The landlord can't deny the person based on things disallowed by discrimination laws, but can deny based on occupancy limits, or credit or background check, etc.

Your Mileage May Vary, but in Oregon occupancy up to 2 per bedroom plus 1 is lawful (e.g. 2BR = 2*2+1= so overoccupancy isn't much of an issue.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maybe I can help.

move in
phrasal verb of move
= take possession of a new house or business premises.
extrapolated to, "take possession of a rental unit/move one's self and possessions into same".

synonymous with

live there
= reside in (the premises)
= become an occupant of (the premises)

Old 12-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Your Mileage May Vary, but in Oregon occupancy up to 2 per bedroom plus 1 is lawful (e.g. 2BR = 2*2+1= so overoccupancy isn't much of an issue.
Which does not mean that a landlord renting out rooms is mandated to rent to more than one person per bedroom. And the OP isn't in Oregon.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Get a dictionary.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe I can help.

move in
phrasal verb of move
= take possession of a new house or business premises.
extrapolated to, "take possession of a rental unit/move one's self and possessions into same".

synonymous with

live there
= reside in (the premises)
= become an occupant of (the premises)

Thank you my question was serious in the sense that these terms need t be specified in a rental agreement in order to make them stick in court when the tenant argues that the boy/girlfriend never actually moved in or lived there. e.g. if he/she sleeps over three nights a week does that qualify? Leases often include a defined standard of becoming an occupant, e.g. sleeping over a certain number of days in a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting