Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 PM

391 posts, read 453,547 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about breaking my lease and moving due to a new job opportunity. My lease states there is a $2,000 early termination fee, which is fine with me. I asked the manager though, and she said it would still look bad on my record even if I paid the fee, since I am breaking the contract. Is that true? Doesn't seem reasonable to me that it will still go on my record, since I'd be cooperating and paying a pretty big penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 01:44 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
I am thinking about breaking my lease and moving due to a new job opportunity. My lease states there is a $2,000 early termination fee, which is fine with me. I asked the manager though, and she said it would still look bad on my record even if I paid the fee, since I am breaking the contract. Is that true? Doesn't seem reasonable to me that it will still go on my record, since I'd be cooperating and paying a pretty big penalty.
Not sure what "record" she is referring to. Will she give a bad referral?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:58 PM

391 posts, read 453,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not sure what "record" she is referring to. Will she give a bad referral?
Not sure, thats what I am trying to determine, whether they can put it on your credit or rental history report or anything like that. Bad reference shouldn't happen either in my view, but thats not really what I am worried about.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Maybe you should nicely explain to the manager how wrong she is and that if she has any intention of putting anything negative on your "record" you'll see her in court!

It's a perfectly legal way to break your lease by paying a penalty to cover the LL's expenses in re-renting the place. She's wrong and she's daft!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:19 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound fair to me either and we never report a paid lease break fee as a lease break but as a mutual agreement to terminate the lease and actually is for 3rd parties not even mentioned other than the person being a good tenant and that we would rent to them again.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:

What record? The most she can do is say you broke the lease agreement but paid the penalty if a referral call comes in. I personally have never "put" or reported anything on anyone's record. About the most I can do is take someone to court get a judgement against them ( if a non payment situation), or give them a bad referral. But I can't actually report nonpayment or late payments to credit reporting agencies.
People think breaking a lease is end of the world stuff and bad juju will follow you. As long as you're following the rules stated in the lease about early termination there isn't a whole lot to be done. Everyone must follow the procedures/rules of the lease. I've had a tenant do a early termination. He did it right, called explained the situation, I got another tenant and all was well. We all moved on and the world didn't end.
The real issue stems when someone wants to break the lease but doesn't want to pay the penalties. Which isn't the case.

She tries to do anything you can take her to court but I doubt it will get to that. Make sure you get a letter stating that the lease is terminated and agreed upon both parties. Make sure you get a receipt and copy of the check /MO also.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
They could answer honestly if future potential landlord asks, and say that you broke the lease early. You could show the lease with the termination fee provision, but they could still select someone else over you just on the chance that you could do it again. If the new job is an improvement in pay and somewhat far away, hopefully they would not hold it against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting