Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:58 AM

237 posts, read 786,431 times

Advertisements

I just moved into an apartment...it's a concrete building and for the most part...pretty quiet. But I notice I keep hearing this furniture dragging sound....like a screeching....it's faint but still annoying. I think it's coming from the unit above but I heard sometimes in concrete buildings, you can hear stuff from a few floors up.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of sound before in a building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 12:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Perhaps your neighbors are moving furniture around?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Perhaps your neighbors are moving furniture around?
But all the time? That's what is so puzzling...

Old 12-28-2014, 12:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Air vent issue?

How old is the building?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM

From the 70s

Old 12-28-2014, 03:36 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
Maybe their kitchen chairs don't have rollers. So every time they use the chair they are moving it to scoot it closer to the table and then moving it again when they stand. Then pushing the empty chair back toward the table after they get up.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:37 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
I don't know if it is this, but I had have had a couple of neighbors in the unit above whose dining sets were causing a lot of noise. I had suggested to them to place those felt pads under the table and chair legs to prevent the screeching and scraping sounds, to which they "acted" as though they could, but never did so. One of them, a guy, seemed to sit there constantly when home to not only eat but do work and then, seemed to slam the table against the wall all the time.. (just one of many noisy sounds he made regularly, being the absolute worst tenant).

The manager had said at some point that they had stopped installing carpeting in the dining areas, due to people making too many spills, yet, realistically, carpeting should be a buffer in an upstairs unit, but linoleum could be in the lower units. (I still have carpeting, and I have never spilled on the carpet in 16 years, even if carrying something into the living room). That's the other thing, why aren't people cleaning this up? (There is one woman in a unit who had spilled so often and caused such mold to develop, that they are not wanting her to return, after having been gone for medical reasons).

Then, when the current tenants above me moved in not long ago, this kind of sound began again. Luckily, the manager was able to impress upon them to adjust / adapt the table so there was not rocking and screeching sounds always, so it stopped. It seems like common sense to me that a person living above another would be conscious of creating this sort of racket, but not everyone is aware or considerate. I mean, I would not want to hear my table making those sounds, myself. Anyway, good luck with this.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
I just moved into an apartment...it's a concrete building and for the most part...pretty quiet. But I notice I keep hearing this furniture dragging sound....like a screeching....it's faint but still annoying. I think it's coming from the unit above but I heard sometimes in concrete buildings, you can hear stuff from a few floors up.

Yep, every day. Concrete building, tile floors throughout each apartment. It took me awhile to realize that the prime furniture mover lived three floors below me. Room size rugs are not the norm here, nor are protective pads on the feet of furniture.

By and large it happens only at certain times of the day, and for brief periods....though I admit when some of these women get on a cleaning rampage it makes an impressive amount of noise for a couple of hours. On the other hand, I got used to it and a little bother is worth the views, the (otherwise) fairly quiet neighbourhood, the various conveniences (i.e. cafes, restaurants, hospital, supermarket, petrol station, etc.) and the low-keyed and peaceful society. Scrape-scrape-scrape kind of remains me to be grateful for all the rest.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
I am dealing with this as well! Pretty quiet building, and very nice, but that sound...happens several times a day. I thought of going upstairs and speaking to the people but it occurred to me that it might not even be coming from that unit, it could be from one above it, or on the side of it, etc. Overall, not too terrible to deal with at all, especially compared to what I was dealing with in my last place!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:

It should have dissipated by now. Santa apparently had issues with storage space at the North Pole this year due to global warming decreasing land mass and had to improvise worldwide. Seems he bagged space in several buildings and particularly solid concrete ones to accommodate the heavy weight of the sleighs and the reindeer. Seems that in some areas, moving out may take a little while but the major packing and cleanup should be finished by February. A lot of people have been complaining about the endless squeaky chatter of the elves so that might be part of the problem too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting