Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times

Advertisements

When I signed the lease on this place, I was a swingin' single gal with no kids.

Now I'm engaged to a man who has two kids who will be staying over every other weekend plus holidays and a few weeks in the summertime. My place doesn't have enough room for all four of us. So...I need out.

My lease does allow subletting to a "suitable" tenant with the landlord's "written permission." I suppose the first step would be to contact the property management company and obtain this permission; I don't see any reason why the landlord wouldn't give it as long as I could find someone just like me to take over the lease. Where's the best place to find a subtenant...craig's list?

Or...does anyone know any loopholes in the law that could allow me to slip out of the lease without much financial penalty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
So this is what the perfect tenant does eh? Considering you have bashed all us landlords, now you want to break your lease.

Boy I am just laughing. Why dont you pay the landlord for the rest of the lease!!

d

Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Default Honesty works for me

Honesty always works for me.

Just be upfront about the change in your family situation and ask what are your options. You may be pleasantly surprised...

Who knows, there might be a larger unit available on site and no one wants to loose a great tenant... turn overs cost money.

If you go the subletting route, you will in effect become the "Landlord" and responsible for marketing and showcasing the units attributes to prospective renters.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
So this is what the perfect tenant does eh? Considering you have bashed all us landlords, now you want to break your lease.

Boy I am just laughing. Why dont you pay the landlord for the rest of the lease!!

d
I'm looking to sublet it. The other crack was a joke.

Post reported.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Honesty always works for me.

Just be upfront about the change in your family situation and ask what are your options. You may be pleasantly surprised...

Who knows, there might be a larger unit available on site and no one wants to loose a great tenant... turn overs cost money.
I don't think that's an option; it's a private rental.

Quote:
If you go the subletting route, you will in effect become the "Landlord" and responsible for marketing and showcasing the units attributes to prospective renters.
I'm prepared to do that. Any advice for marketing?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Or...does anyone know any loopholes in the law that could allow me to slip out of the lease without much financial penalty?
Turn this around and picture there is a landlord saying this:

Or...does anyone know any loopholes in the law that could allow me to evict a tenant/not repair a damaged appliance/raise rent/enter without notice without much financial penalty?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I have had good luck posting a for rent/lease sign in my vacant units where it can be seen by people passing by. Might be worth a try if you are not prohibited from doing this.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Turn this around and picture there is a landlord saying this:

Or...does anyone know any loopholes in the law that could allow me to evict a tenant/not repair a damaged appliance/raise rent/enter without notice without much financial penalty?
That's not far off what I've seen some landlords here say, but if you'd read my post to dorothy you'd have seen it was a joke. If I can't sublet the place I'm stuck until the lease ends. *shrug*

Old 01-11-2008, 09:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,637 times
Read your lease, it may contain a termination clause. And if you terminate the lease according to the terms, you are not breaking the lease, or your "promise" to pay the rent, as some landlords refer to it.

Typically, it requires proper notice (60 days is average) and you will either have to pay a fee (shouldn't be more than two months rent) or you might have to pay rent until the unit is re-rented or you lease term ends, whichever comes first. You will be entitled to your deposit if you do it right.

It really depends on the occupancy and demand for the units there. If the community is half empty and tenants are hard to find, the property manager will hold your feet to the fire.

Life happens, good luck.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:02 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I'm looking to sublet it. The other crack was a joke.

Post reported.
What if someone had a way that you could "slip out" of the lease, would it be a joke then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting