Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

I can't see that this is a landlord/tenant situation unless you had him sign a lease and a payment agreement. You are letting him live on the property in which you are the tenant. But I'm not a lawyer.

Perhaps you could gather up everything he left behind, haul it off to a storage locker, pay the first month's rent, call the friend's number and leave a message that you have done so and if he wants his crap, he'll have to come back or at any rate arrange to pay the storage rent. Also, request an address where you can send him the location of the storage site and the key.

Make it plain that there is no reason to return to your home because he no longer resides there. Then you can go about your original plan of trying to find lodgings that suit you.

Always remember that no good deed goes unpunished. You are a kind person and I hope the new year is kind to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 10:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I can't see that this is a landlord/tenant situation unless you had him sign a lease and a payment agreement. You are letting him live on the property in which you are the tenant. But I'm not a lawyer.

Perhaps you could gather up everything he left behind, haul it off to a storage locker, pay the first month's rent, call the friend's number and leave a message that you have done so and if he wants his crap, he'll have to come back or at any rate arrange to pay the storage rent. Also, request an address where you can send him the location of the storage site and the key.

Make it plain that there is no reason to return to your home because he no longer resides there. Then you can go about your original plan of trying to find lodgings that suit you.

Always remember that no good deed goes unpunished. You are a kind person and I hope the new year is kind to you.
Very bad advice and what you're suggesting is totally illegal. The OP clearly rented to this person who pays rent to him and there does not have to be a written lease for this arrangement to be legal.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

Good thing you're not a lawyer, you would go out of business.

Really bad advice, first off the guy hasn't not paid rent. The OP is projecting.

And they do have a rental agreement, you can't just toss someone's stuff out in the street anymore than you can just decide to change the locks. This is a month to month and in most states(and considering this is in CO) requires you give the tenant 30 days notice.

Besides what would be the point of the OP putting out money for a storage unit even for one month, when they're on here complaining about being shorted(or thinking they're going to be shorted). You're suggesting they put out money they're claiming they don't have to begin with.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Where I live, he would actually owe you MORE money for storage. People just cant leave their crap lying about for free.

So, you would end up "repossessing" anyway.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
As a veteran watcher (take it for what it is worth) of Judge Judy, I say, no, you cant. As she would say, "that is what courts are for, you can't get self-help."

Old 01-03-2015, 11:34 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Good thing you're not a lawyer, you would go out of business.

Really bad advice, first off the guy hasn't not paid rent. The OP is projecting.

And they do have a rental agreement, you can't just toss someone's stuff out in the street anymore than you can just decide to change the locks. This is a month to month and in most states(and considering this is in CO) requires you give the tenant 30 days notice.

Besides what would be the point of the OP putting out money for a storage unit even for one month, when they're on here complaining about being shorted(or thinking they're going to be shorted). You're suggesting they put out money they're claiming they don't have to begin with.
When people ask for advice on an internet forum, some will be good and some will not be. Apparently, you have decided yours is best. I bow to your Superior Intelligence.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
When people ask for advice on an internet forum, some will be good and some will not be. Apparently, you have decided yours is best. I bow to your Superior Intelligence.
No need for sarcasm. It's always best to speak of what you know, particularly on subjects such as this where legal issues are concerned.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Numerous other landlords on this forum, who are very familiar with state laws, can confirm as I do that your advice was bad and seain dublin is correct. Its not just a matter of opinion, its a matter of law.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
OP, you need to move forward with your own plans without expecting him to be a part of them. Give him the minimum notice required in your state, if you don't hear from him then drive his stuff out to the ranch if you have to, and be done with him.

Don't let any more sad sacks talk you into taking on their problems.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:31 PM

403 posts, read 557,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Check your land lord tenant act, but generally, you cannot just TAKE someone's property. The proper way to do this would be to go to court and get a judgement against him. The problem is that based on what you just described, he doesn't owe you any money. You only suspect he won't pay.

The other problem is I suspect you two have no written agreement. It will be your word against his, in terms of what you guys agreed to originally. I don't think there is anything that keeps you from moving. I believe you'd just need to show you gave him adequate notice, and then exercise reasonable care with his belongings.
Even the title of this topic says that the OP only SUSPECTS that the housemate won't pay. No matter what your state laws say, you can't keep something based off of just a suspicion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
OP- The situation you had with your former boyfriend was very different. In that, you and he were in a relationship and had formed a household- your belongings were co-mingled.

What you have now is a landlord- tenant relationship. You simply cannot take anything belonging to a tenant without a court order. To do so would be theft on your part.

What you can try is this. If he reneges on the rent and doesn't pay you, perhaps he would be amenable to giving you some of his stuff in lieu of payment. He's a hoarder and to him his hoard may be like gold and he may refuse to part with anything. You can ask though.

If he does agree to part with some things and give them to you, get it in writing. A signed by both of you, dated, itemized list of everything he transfers to you with words to the effect that he is giving you this stuff.
It is a different situation, but there could be some similarities. For instance, I think it's safe to say that everything in the housemate's room belongs to the housemate and he would be entitled to it as long as he went to get it within a reasonable time. However, if the OP didn't have a couch for instance and the housemate brought over a couch to put in the living room, then I think that there would need to be some type of ownership established before the court would allow the housemate to take it. I may be wrong of course, but I can't see a court allowing somebody to take something from a common area without that person proving they actually own that item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting