Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 05:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Standard practice here it to send certified letters to the address as specified on the rental agreement unless you have been provided notice the address has changed and the new address.

Repair and Deduct is risky in that it is very confrontational... there are specific steps to follow and I would not rely on Internet Advice because the Owner will most likely retaliate... this method of self help is to be used as a last resort as is withholding rent and depositing it with the court until the unit is again deemed habitable by the authority of jurisdiction.
I agree. However, the OP seems to view a telephone call as some sort of last resort which of course it's not. This whole process might well have been sorted out much earlier if the 'phone had been used in the first place instead of waiting and waiting for emails to be responded to. Whenever I deal with any LL I call first to get the issue sorted out and then simply confirm the conversation in an email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 AM

106 posts, read 223,093 times
So the water heater was replaced with a brand new one.

And just a few hrs later - we are getting hot water in the cold tap. It happened in both bathroom showers, and I noticed it in the bathroom sinks too. As well as a little bit in the kitchen sink. I let the LL know right away (text message) since it is late at night.

It eventually turned cold in the sinks but during the shower it was not cold, just warm. There will be spurts of cold water during the shower but I have to keep adjusting it. The knob is a 360 degree turn knob in both showers. And all sinks in the house have only 1 knob as well. What is the likely cause now?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopTart21 View Post
So the water heater was replaced with a brand new one.

And just a few hrs later - we are getting hot water in the cold tap. It happened in both bathroom showers, and I noticed it in the bathroom sinks too. As well as a little bit in the kitchen sink. I let the LL know right away (text message) since it is late at night.

It eventually turned cold in the sinks but during the shower it was not cold, just warm. There will be spurts of cold water during the shower but I have to keep adjusting it. The knob is a 360 degree turn knob in both showers. And all sinks in the house have only 1 knob as well. What is the likely cause now?
If they are all 1 knob then it's highly likely that it's what's often called the 'mixer valve' in the faucet. Often this is a replaceable cartridge that's maybe the size of a thumb. But this depends on the faucet brand.

I had a shower mixer cartridge go bad and it was for a shower that was rarely used. It went over a year between uses several times. It would only give cold water at all times. After researching I found that they(mixers) are more likely to go bad when the faucet goes for long periods with no use. I suspect the house was vacant for some time which might have caused issues with all the mixers in all the faucets.

Basically the mixer is supposed to regulate the 'mix' of cold/hot water based on the knob setting that you choose. But if the mixer goes bad, then it's not able to follow the 'instructions' that you are giving by changing the knob setting.

Also there are settings that are made at installation that configure the knob handle and the mixer valve the be 'in sync'. Else the temp setting on the knob can be 'off' with what the mixer is really doing.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If they are all 1 knob then it's highly likely that it's what's often called the 'mixer valve' in the faucet. Often this is a replaceable cartridge that's maybe the size of a thumb. But this depends on the faucet brand.

I had a shower mixer cartridge go bad and it was for a shower that was rarely used. It went over a year between uses several times. It would only give cold water at all times. After researching I found that they(mixers) are more likely to go bad when the faucet goes for long periods with no use. I suspect the house was vacant for some time which might have caused issues with all the mixers in all the faucets.

Basically the mixer is supposed to regulate the 'mix' of cold/hot water based on the knob setting that you choose. But if the mixer goes bad, then it's not able to follow the 'instructions' that you are giving by changing the knob setting.

Also there are settings that are made at installation that configure the knob handle and the mixer valve the be 'in sync'. Else the temp setting on the knob can be 'off' with what the mixer is really doing.
On which faucet is this located? If it affects one faucet will it happen to all?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
On which faucet is this located? If it affects one faucet will it happen to all?
If a faucet has 1 knob that regulates both cold/hot by turning the knob, then it has a mixer. Each faucet has its own mixer. It's part of the faucet...usually behind or within the big knob.

Faucets that have separate knobs for hot and cold don't have a mixer.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If a faucet has 1 knob that regulates both cold/hot by turning the knob, then it has a mixer. Each faucet has its own mixer. It's part of the faucet...usually behind or within the big knob.

Faucets that have separate knobs for hot and cold don't have a mixer.
Sorry all the faucets have one knob except one of the bathroom sinks, that one has 2 knobs and also had the hot water coming through the cold knob

Old 02-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry all the faucets have one knob except one of the bathroom sinks, that one has 2 knobs and also had the hot water coming through the cold knob
For this it's likely that hot water intake hose is connected to the faucet's cold/ and vice versa. I have one bathroom sink faucet like this in my house because the original plumber crossed the hot and cold intakes at that sink.

To fix just reconnect (swap) the cold/hot intakes under the sink...to the faucet. I actually left mine the old way because I kind of like it like that for one of my sinks. If I ever sell the house Ill swap them. But for now that 1 sink I just remember...left=cold and right=hot.

You can do that for that one sink too. Always use right for hot and left for cold and see if that solves that sink. Leave a note by the sink to remind everyone. Once this 'proves' to resolve, you can discuss with landlord swapping of the intake hot/cold to the faucet if you don't want to deal with left=cold and right=hot.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Not to sound redundant...

When water valve at the hot water heater is turned 100% off... has anyone verified that NO water comes out of any of the fixtures when the hot side is turned on... ANY water as in hot or cold temp out of the Hot Side.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not to sound redundant...

When water valve at the hot water heater is turned 100% off... has anyone verified that NO water comes out of any of the fixtures when the hot side is turned on... ANY water as in hot or cold temp out of the Hot Side.
To be honest i have no knowledge on the subject but I talked to the landlord and theres someone coming to look at it tonight

but the issue isnt happening all the time though. For example one of the bathrooms has it bad like I am showering and the temperature knob is just past midway to the cold side, and the water is pretty hot....however 5-6 mins later there will be a cold spurt (really cold) so then I have to adjust it to the hotter side, then it gets extremely hot, etc etc

One thing I was told is that if it's a 360 degree knob that controls hot or cold - it will give you a different temperature everytime you turn on the water no matter what position its rotated to. Is this false? Because it seems so outdated to think that a knob would do that nowadays.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Most of my homes still have two knobs... hot and cold... never really liked the single handle because they often require cartridges to repair...

The new ones are temperature balance which sounds great in theory and not so good in practice... have one in a triplex... the city has been doing months of construction and it never fails that sediment gets in the lines and the temperature balance valve has to be removed, cleaned and put back in to work... the other two units with the old style two handle have no issue.

I thought everything pointed to a defective water heater...

I bet the owner is pulling hair about now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting