Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:25 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopTart21 View Post

So the only option left is to move? I just ran the cold water in the bathroom sink for 10 minutes and let it run. I go to touch it and the water is warm/hot.
Your sink faucet is a single lever. If the lever was turned to "warm" position and you first turn it on, cold water will always come out for awhile. Then after awhile the cold will turn to warm/hot. It always starts out cold because it takes awhile for the hot water to travel from the water heater to the sink. This is normal.

At this point the landlord is done with this issue and has spent money on multiple plumbers and swapped the water heater. The landlord and plumber came out and tested the faucets and said they are working normally.

Your option as this point is to deal with it or move. One way to deal with it, as suggested in above post, is to take baths. Keep in mind it's possible that if you keep bothering the landlord about this, they might give you notice to move out because they deem you a bothersome tenant over what they deem 'non-issues' after spending time/money chasing down phantoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM

106 posts, read 223,183 times
What about the sink in the other bathroom? That one has 2 handles.

And in that same bathroom the shower/tub has one lever and sometimes the water is just warm the entire shower. Thats normal?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
This ongoing saga is making me hydrophobic.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This ongoing saga is making me hydrophobic.
How do u think we feel

Old 02-08-2015, 06:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopTart21 View Post
How do u think we feel
If you do a Google there are dozens of plumbing forums out there where you may find the answers you're seeking, This really is less of a renting issue at this point.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you do a Google there are dozens of plumbing forums out there where you may find the answers you're seeking, This really is less of a renting issue at this point.
I think it still qualifies as a renting issue. What if i do pinpoint the problem with the help of a plumber? And the LL refuses to fix it? And most plumbers dont come out without a service fee either. I am expected to pay the service fee? Ok no problem but what about the fee to repair? I dont want to ask the LL since apparently i will become 'bothersome'.

Theres also the problem of pinpointing the problem, afterall its plumbing so it may not be as easy. I will try a plumbing forum for the issue

Old 02-08-2015, 11:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
At this point it looks like the end of trail...

So far experts have evaluated and money spent on fixes... probably easily over a $1,000.

I don't see it as Landlord refusal or lack of trying... plus the mention experts could find no problem.

My guess it would take me the better part of a day to do a thorough evaluation... starting with the fixtures nearest the water heater and expanding from there...

Perhaps by turning off all the individual fixtures... recording temperatures and corresponding times... etc... this also includes monitoring incoming water temp for a baseline.

It would also help to know exactly when the problem started...

The water heater in my parents home has a wide variation between start and stop... in other words... the water will only be slightly warm in the morning... as water is drawn the heater fires and the next person using the shower will have much warmer water... of course using all the hot water means no hot water is available until the heater cycles.

As to cold water... the water here is much colder in winter than in summer... can't even get cold water during a heatwave... pipes just are not that deep in the ground in many places in California...

One more comment... using low flow shower heads requires a little longer for the hot water to flow to the head and it will last longer once it is hot...

I had a tenant complain of not enough hot water where there had never been a complaint and it was 100% because of a tenant installed monsoon shower head... it could empty the hot water in several minutes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting