Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable.

The girl living above me has a dead battery in her smoke alarm and hasn't replaced it in nearly 2 months. Since the ceilings here are wicked thin and I can hear every little thing, I can hear "beep!" every 30 seconds and it's annoying.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I sent the following e-mail to management:

Hello,

I believe the tenant who lives above me (I think it’s Apt 16 but not sure) has not replaced her smoke alarm battery for a few months now. It beeps like every 30 seconds and I can hear it in my apartment loud and clear, because the floors in this building are ridiculously thin. It’s so annoying and I don’t understand how she can live and sleep like that, with that continuous beeping all the time. Not to mention, the safety implications.

By any chance, could you please communicate this matter to this particular tenant (or all tenants) so that the noise goes away once and for all?

Thanks

So, then, the property manager responded with this:

Knock on her door or leave a note to let her know. Much more effective for you to approach her as a fellow resident than from us.

Then, I responded with this:

But I do not feel comfortable doing that and would prefer not to interact with her. And I do not consider myself to be a fellow resident with respect to her. Can you or someone else please attempt to communicate the matter to her?

Thanks

Then, the property manager said:

You can do it. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results.

At this point, I was fumigated, and responded with the following:

I have lived in several other apartment complexes and have had similar issues regarding neighbors. In those complexes, management has been very helpful, effective and willing to communicate directly to the tenants on the behalf of other tenants. I do not feel comfortable interacting with my neighbors regarding matters such as this one, because I do not want to generate any potential conflicts between myself and other tenants, and would prefer to approach it anonymously. I would prefer to keep any interactions with my neighbors limited to positive things, only.

Since management already has a professional relationship with the tenant, I think it’s reasonable for me to ask management to handle the situation accordingly. Plus, I am paying $1,750 per month here, always on time, and follow the rules. I understand it’s Friday night and don’t expect the matter to be resolved immediately, but if you could please communicate this to her anonymously, I would greatly appreciate it.

To save you time and effort, I have drafted the following message (below). If you could please send this to her via e-mail, I would be grateful. Or if you feel comfortable using your own words, I trust you to do so.

Hello,

It has been brought to our attention that one or more tenants currently residing within your building has been hearing a beeping sound for several weeks; presumably a smoke alarm that needs battery replacement. If this situation applies to your apartment unit, we recommend replacing the battery as soon as you are able to do so.

Please contact us if you have any questions, and have a happy new year!

Thanks

************************************************** *******************************

So....is it just me, or is my property management lazy and screwed up in the head?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
How funny would it be if they just hit forward & send, and sent to her the whole email string, including the email you drafted for their convenience. LOL!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:19 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Good god Nep, just leave a note on her door. Or mailbox. Took you longer to go through that with management than the note would've.

Maybe they were trying to set you two up!

And lala - I agree!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:27 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
I think you are right. I have a horrible next door neighbor; some years ago she was bringing 2 or 3 kids (relatives of hers) here and sending them to play outside my door. I heard her telling them to bounce a ball off my window and door. I filled my tiny patio with chairs, a table and some cactus plants. She then complained to management. I replied, correctly, that I was allowed to have these items on my patio and explained why I had put them there. Management then asked me if I had tried "talking to her"! To this day I still have all the stuff on my patio and she complains once or twice a year.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Good god Nep, just leave a note on her door. Or mailbox. Took you longer to go through that with management than the note would've.

Maybe they were trying to set you two up!

And lala - I agree!
Yes, but the point is to remain anonymous. I don't want to leave a note on her door. That's obnoxious and tacky IMO.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:18 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
No ones telling you to sign it

Old 01-09-2015, 09:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
For crying out loud nep, pretend to be an adult on this.

"Dear neighbor:
Something inside your apartment is beeping and we can hear it in the hallway outside your apartment, and in our apartments. Please make the beeping stop. It's probably a smoke alarm that needs a new battery.

Sincerely,
Your neighbors"

Old 01-09-2015, 09:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

At this point, I was fumigated, and responded with the following:
I can't believe you were fumigated!!!

At any rate, if you want to be anonymous, leave an anonymous note. Or check on her. Maybe something happened to her.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 PM

It is incumbent upon the property manager to take care of these things. I don't talk to neighbors. Sorry.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It is incumbent upon the property manager to take care of these things. I don't talk to neighbors. Sorry.
I agree with you.

I would not want to complain to her about her smoke detector....it could open you up to retaliation of some sort....you never know how people will take things.

And, I would think management would be especially concerned about a smoke detector that is not working.....after all, it is insurance against the building burning down.

In the time it took to answer your e-mails, management could have contacted the woman and made sure the smoke detector was working.....it is in their best interest to protect their property and the lives of their tenants.

The property manager sounds like an idiot.

It is his job, not yours, to make sure that the smoke detectors in each apartment are in working order.

If you leave a note, she may just remove the battery all together instead of replacing it. Management should make sure the battery is replaced and the smoke detector is in working order.

Call the local fire department and inform them that the management in your building is refusing to address smoke detectors that are not in working order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting