Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 AM

176 posts, read 192,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I only use return receipt certified mail as a very last resort. I have an excellent relationship with my current landlords but over the years, both as tenant and landlord, have been sure to confirm everything oral in an email following the conversation. It's a good habit to get into and courts do accept email transmissions as evidence if matters get that far.

In this case, in my opinion, an email letter would be fine to try and get things moving.
Well I kinda have an excellent relationship with my landlord too, and he promised again he would fix it. So for the moment I take his word that he is going to do something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJacket View Post
Well I kinda have an excellent relationship with my landlord too, and he promised again he would fix it. So for the moment I take his word that he is going to do something about it.
Still start getting into the habit of confirming in writing via email. It only takes a minute to write, "Thanks so much for promising to take care of the *****. Very much appreciate it!" Trust me, been there done that and even the very best relationship between LL and tenant can run afoul and oral communication doesn't cover you if and when it does.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:44 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Postal. Paper and ink.

Postal. Paper and ink. self addressed envelope.
Don't open it.

It's less bother and expense than the return receipt.
And doesn't prove that you mailed one to the landlord, it just proves you mailed it to yourself. If you ever have to produce proof that your landlord received it, you need the return receipt from the post office.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And doesn't prove that you mailed one to the landlord...
Prove to who? If it gets that far we're talking about a Judge, correct?
Rent Court Judges will know the game.

A tenant produces an unopened envelope with a date? He'll be fine.
A landlord might be held to the higher standard of the RR,
and I'm not saying it isn't more correct to use that,
but at this stage of things it is more than adequate protection
one notch above the "As per our chat yesterday my understanding is..." email.

Larger point here being that if you have real concern that your dealings
with your LL (or a tenant) warrant those deeper levels of self protection...
then you really should be focused on vacating and not the repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting