Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
1. I wonder what the responses might have been, had the OP said the LL called and asked her to go into her house and check on her plants, or her roast...or her mom.

2. Bottom line, I feel very sorry for this poor dog, that the owner was so ill prepared for such a tragic event, however she planned for the Vet to come to her home so there was some preparation made. This is something you would ask of a friend, a known neighbor...someone the dog has a relationship with.....Someone that you know would actually comfort the poor dog....just a sad situation all around.
1. That wasn't the case so it's totally irrelevant.

2. "The point of the OP's question" hasn't been ignored at all. Neither you nor anyone else has any idea at all why the owner was unable to stay with the dog other than knowing that she was at work, but it's a FAIR and logical assumption from the brief facts given that this falls under the "extenuating circumstances" umbrella where the owner's mind simply needed to be put at rest and for whatever reason the only person she either had or thought to call was her tenant who conveniently lives right on the property.

The sadness is that some people simply won't lift a finger to lend a helping hand - but karma can always be trusted. Nobody is disputing that some people will take advantage of others but only those who allow themselves to be taken advantage of are to blame for that. Based solely on the facts given by the OP (who's not returned to the thread) this in no way appears to be one of those situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
My landlord is a good friend of mine. We still keep the professional side of things separate from then friendship side. But she has asked me in the past to pet sit for her, with pay. And I was honest in telling her that I was not able to do that for her due to my work schedule. She was fine with that answer. No big deal. However I would check on her sick pet for her even if she were not a friend, heck even if she were not my landlord. If she were a neighbor I never spoke to who asked for the help I would help them. Kindness and compassion are never an inconvenience.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
One last thought - if your dog was about to die, and today was the day you were calling the vet to put it down, would you go to work?

Then call your tenant or neighbor to go see if it's dead yet?

Old 01-24-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
One last thought - if your dog was about to die, and today was the day you were calling the vet to put it down, would you go to work?

Really a last thought? I'm guessing you haven't had a lot of experience dealing with different animals nor dealt with their illnesses, death and dying. But there's no point going into all of that as all you're doing is making wild assumptions hinging around your previous issues dealing with neighbors who took advantage of your small kindnesses towards them. You allowed yourself to be taken advantage of, then got upset about it and obviously decided that in future you simply wouldn't lend a helping hand to anyone in similar circumstances. Your prerogative albeit very sad.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Given some of judgmental comments at the mere suggestion that the renter was uncomfortable with this request. I think her concerns "I worry that if I tell her no she will make the next 8 months until our lease is up hell" were validated. ....after all....We do not know if she went ahead and checked on the dog.....since she never returned to comment.

Personally, if my dog was dying...I'd have taken her to the vet straight away, work or no work....The thought of a poor animal suffering at home alone is just cruel imo.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Personally, if my dog was dying...I'd have taken her to the vet straight away, work or no work....The thought of a poor animal suffering at home alone is just cruel imo.
and these are the points I think many are ignoring. Sure we can find some moral reason to shake our heads at why the OP is not wanting to do this, but reality is; why did the landlord even put the OP in this position?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:03 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and these are the points I think many are ignoring. Sure we can find some moral reason to shake our heads at why the OP is not wanting to do this, but reality is; why did the landlord even put the OP in this position?
I understand what you're saying, but from a business owner/manager stand point, what if this landlord (my employee) was already to her limit of absences and one more would cost her her job. Then what? I'm the bad guy for terminating her because her dog was dying?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
... why did the landlord even put the OP in this position?
Who knows but it's more likely than not that there was a VERY good reason as the previous poster pointed out. On the face of it and without knowing the background, it was apparently a simple request for a very simple favor. If the LL were asking the tenant to bathe and feed the dog and take it to the vet, administer emergency care or anything else major which the tenant was not equipped to handle, that's an entirely different scenario.

The whole sidetrack into the, "if I do one favor for someone they're just going to ask for more favors so I wouldn't do it" is pathetic and a sad glimpse into the negative side of human nature. On the positive side, it just makes me appreciate that it's a negative that I'm not subjected to nor subscribe to.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Only in YOUR experience. Perish the day when something happens to you or your dog and for whatever reason you need a favor from a neighbor or a landlord. Good luck with that.
I'm pretty sure people who do not want to socialize themselves with their business arrangments wouldn't have this concern or have others close to them who they would want to ask for help.

Their really isnt any fault here, Just two opposing view points on personalizing their living arrangments. Respect for others goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting