Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:33 AM

18 posts, read 35,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Do not pay them a penny, nor agree to pay them a penny, until you determine the Statute of Limitations for collecting on this debt. A collections agency will most likely try to trick you into doing something that is not in your best interests.

NoMoreSnow is on to something (and I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned the Statute of Limitations). I'm not sure what you have done to date--and I'm not sure if what you have done will have indeed reset the Statute of Limitations--but you need to be very wary. A consultation with a good lawyer would be in order. If you can determine that the Statute of Limitations on your debt has not been reset and is about to expire, that would put you in the driver's seat as far as negotiating a resolution, if that's what you rightly choose to do.

But, if you've recently made a payment on your debt, "SOL" has a double meaning.

I have not paid them as of yet. I am the debt can be invalidated because the management company that calculated the inflated amount owed is no longer in business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
OP, take the advice you have already been given. CONTACT A LAWYER.

DFW Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service for a low-cost initial consultation (30 min). In the meantime, pay nothing on this debt. Paying a portion is an admission that you owe - and it resets the clock on the SOL. Also, if you pay a portion of it, you will owe the IRS taxes based on the amount written off (as income).

https://www.tarrantbar.org/For%20the...nity/LRIS.aspx

Old 02-22-2015, 10:50 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadditdfw View Post
If they provide the credit bureaus with the lease contract and the document itemizing what I owe is that enough for the collection company to validate the debt even if the management company is no long longer in business?
It doesn't matter if the original company is no longer in business, if someone else now owns the debt. Did the collection agency buy the debt?

If you talk to an attorney, talk to a bankruptcy attorney. You can consult for free, but they are the ones who know about how debts and collections work.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
I do still live in TX.

I live in a apartment my ex-husband rented for me. however he insists on having a key and he just makes my life uncomfortable in general. I appreciate his help but, he takes it too far; for example I am not allowed to date another man while I live here and he would rather that I don't have ppl over at all. Hence the reason I am really interested in being able to rent my own apartment.
So he is paying your rent and you cannot save any money for a lump sum offer of settlement? If you can't save anything with free housing, how on earth do you expect to pay the rent for your own apartment?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
So he is paying your rent and you cannot save any money for a lump sum offer of settlement? If you can't save anything with free housing, how on earth do you expect to pay the rent for your own apartment?
She didn't say he pays the rent. He rented it in his name.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
oh no no no I pay my bills.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It doesn't matter if the original company is no longer in business, if someone else now owns the debt. Did the collection agency buy the debt?

If you talk to an attorney, talk to a bankruptcy attorney. You can consult for free, but they are the ones who know about how debts and collections work.
I assumed they bought the debt. Isn't that how it works? Do you know how I can find that out if they own it?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
I assumed they bought the debt. Isn't that how it works? Do you know how I can find that out if they own it?
Consult an attorney. Nothing is going to be achieved on a forum. You need professional assistance from someone qualified.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
It's safe to assume they own the debt - or someone does who they are representing - if they are bothering to try to collect from you. They aren't going to work to collect something for a client who can't pay them for doing so.

You could ask them who owns the debt. But, really, assume someone owns it.

Bankruptcy attorneys will give you a free consultation. You can learn a lot - and then file for yourself, if you don't want to pay one. Although, now that the whole foreclosure fiasco is mostly over, I see advertisements again for cheap bankruptcy lawyers. At any rate, the consultation is free.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:13 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter! If the Statute of Limitations has passed, they simply can't enforce collection of the debt. It's been repeated often: check with an attorney; don't pay anything before you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting