Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:36 AM

18 posts, read 35,384 times

Advertisements

In 2009 I was only a couple months into a lease at a fancy newly built complex, well I ended up losing my job and had to break my lease. Now I cant rent an apartment. Because I was unable to give the 30 day notice I was charged the maximum amount that I believe is in all TX lease contracts. 20k.... I have no idea what to do. Maybe reach out to the management company (I found out recently that there is now a new management company in place so I am not sure they will or can do anything for me or negotiate with the collection company... I CANT afford to pay their initial offer of 5k in 5 payments... Any Ideas???

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
You haven't rented an apartment since 2009? It's not true that nobody will rent to you - many private landlords don't do the more extensive background checks common to complex management companies.

If the debt has already gone to collections it's out of the complex management's hands and you'll have to deal with the collection company. You may get good/better advice in the Personal Finance forum.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:31 AM

18 posts, read 35,384 times
I was engaged so everything (mostly was in his name) now I am subletting from an ex that is a bit obsessive and I just want my own place ASAP!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:08 AM

So you ignored the debt for 5 years because it didn't really affect you but now the bad credit IS affecting you and you want to know how to clear it up? It's a moot point but if you'd made arrangements to pay off the debt little by little over the past five years you'd be free and clear by now. Contact the collection agency and negotiate a lesser amount and payments to clear it as this is going to follow you for years to come.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadditdfw View Post
In 2009 I was only a couple months into a lease at a fancy newly built complex, well I ended up losing my job and had to break my lease. Now I cant rent an apartment. Because I was unable to give the 30 day notice I was charged the maximum amount that I believe is in all TX lease contracts. 20k.... I have no idea what to do. Maybe reach out to the management company (I found out recently that there is now a new management company in place so I am not sure they will or can do anything for me or negotiate with the collection company... I CANT afford to pay their initial offer of 5k in 5 payments... Any Ideas???

Thx!
check Texas Landlord / Tenant Law on early lease termination charges

Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
File personal bankruptcy.....This judgement can be discharged, as it appears to be an unsecured debt. Speak to a local bankruptcy attorney, try to find a free consult, immediately.

Bankruptcy is the only protection I know of for this type situation...they can eventually choose to garnish your wages as long as that judgement is active.

I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice....however I did the paperwork for a bankruptcy attorney for many years....Bankruptcy is a viable option for your situation as you've stated it here, imo.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:23 AM

237 posts, read 787,092 times
Quote:

Thx!
They told you at the time you tried to break the lease that you would owe this much??

Old 01-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
They told you at the time you tried to break the lease that you would owe this much??
Ended up as $5K according to the OP:

Quote:
I CANT afford to pay their initial offer of 5k in 5 payments... Any Ideas???
I can only assume that the OP decided that since she couldn't meet that arrangement she just let it slide when she could easily have discharged the debt a long time ago with further negotiation.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Bankruptcy is the only protection I know of for this type situation...they can eventually choose to garnish your wages as long as that judgement is active.

I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice....however I did the paperwork for a bankruptcy attorney for many years....Bankruptcy is a viable option for your situation as you've stated it here, imo.
Good suggestion. Bankruptcy shouldn't effect ability to rent. If she doesn't file, eventually they will attach wages.

A tough state, you never want to terminate early, landlords within Texas law with charges and not required to negotiate.

http://texastenant.org/termination.html
Consequences for terminating without excuse
If a tenant does not have a legal excuse for terminating early, a tenant can be held responsible for the remaining rental payments under the lease. This is the maximum potential liability for premature termination. A tenant can still be liable for damages to the property and reasonable cleaning fees if authorized in the lease. If a tenant moves out early, and the tenant's deposit is too small to cover these charges, landlords sometimes pursue other actions to collect the funds, and usually make reports to credit agencies if collection efforts prove unsuccessful.
If you want to terminate early, you should try to work something out with your landlord. If you make a deal, get the agreement (referred to legally as a release) in writing to prove you are no longer responsible under the lease. A form agreement is provided in the forms section. You should at least give the landlord notice of your intentions, because you will receive credit for any rents they collect from a new tenant on your place after you move out. Giving notice may enable them to find another tenant before you actually move out. Texas law now requires landlords to attempt to locate another tenant to take over your lease (called a duty to mitigate). You can also find someone else to rent your place to reduce your liability as long as the landlord finds them acceptable.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:02 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
First question:
How is this information being reported? is it on a credit report, some investigative report, some other consumer report?

Second question:
Who is reporting the debt, is it held by the management company, former landlord, collection agency?

Depending on who holds and where the information is coming from dictates your next steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting