Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,042 times

Advertisements

my friend came to my apartment to sleep over for several days, and my landlord found this and said my friend already stay here for four months and try to charge us extra 200 dollars per month from October to February, for a total of 800 dollars. And add extra 200 dollars to our following rent. And we try to talk to our landlord, but he still asks us to pay for those money.
The landlord said either my friend or my roommate told him my friend already stay here for four months but actually this is not true, my friend only stayed here for like one week! And they lied!
Also, if we refused to pay extra money, is that legal? And what should we do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 03:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Read your lease and see what it says about having overnight visitors.

Can he charge you extra in the middle of the lease? No, he can't. However, if he thinks this person moved in he can serve you a 3 day pay or quit notice. Meaning, the friend leaves or you add them to the lease (and the rent goes up).....read your lease, tell your friend to go home and tell your landlord you wont' be paying him because your friend was visiting, not living in the unit.

And don't expect him to renew your lease when it expires...

Old 02-03-2015, 04:43 AM

Thanks for ur reply
And if he still asks us to pay, can we refuse to pay extra money and only pay original rent ?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Read your lease and see what it says about having overnight visitors.

Can he charge you extra in the middle of the lease? No, he can't. However, if he thinks this person moved in he can serve you a 3 day pay or quit notice. Meaning, the friend leaves or you add them to the lease (and the rent goes up).....read your lease, tell your friend to go home and tell your landlord you wont' be paying him because your friend was visiting, not living in the unit.

And don't expect him to renew your lease when it expires...
Thanks for ur reply
And another quick question,
He still asks us to pay for extra, can we refuse to pay the extra and only pay the original rent and leave extra on our account?

Thanks!!!

Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Until and unless he follows the correct procedure which poster Kim in Fl pointed out, he cannot change the terms of the lease. So the answer is yes, you do not pay anything other than your regular rent. Of course if you're NOT on a term lease but on a month to month he can give you a month's notice to leave without a reason but if you have a lease he will have to go to court to evict you. You'll find your state landlord tenant laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting