Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:29 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,781,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The LL has presented a claim against the security deposit within the time proscribed by state law (see Post #5) and even though he returned the SD as soon as the tenant left he's still within the time frame to claim against it.
While that may be technically true, if this case actually reaches a judge a judge will not look kindly upon it.
It's not wise to **** off a judge. Dockets are jam packed with cases already.

We also haven't heard about the "depreciated value" I mentioned earlier, so this case is worth much less than $800-$1,000 that the OP was told. I think it's a bluff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 06:58 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,788,877 times
So, this guy is already removing carpet and finds evidence of cat urine, and is now demanding the former tenant replace the carpet he was already removing? I've had a few Coronas tonight so I could be misreading that entirely.

Then the OP says the carpet was still wet days later after cleaning "thoroughly". What did you clean the carpet with? A pressure washer? There is no reason for carpet to be that wet days later.

I've also got to ask why the tarp? Was this to keep litter from getting ground into the carpet? Or did the OP think Kitty Kitty would only pee in the closet?

There's some stink in this thread.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,334,795 times
I have cats and I can't believe that carpet and possibly the floor underneath could be THAT soaked with cat pee and it not be something the land lord could smell at the time of the walk through. Seems like common sense.
I think it sounds like a bluff from a bully land lord. I would get a free consult with a lawyer. Personally I would also check county records to see if this landlord has filed any other suits like this and what the circumstances were just to get an idea of what your dealing with where your landlord is concerned.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,444,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
While that may be technically true, if this case actually reaches a judge a judge will not look kindly upon it.
It's not wise to **** off a judge. Dockets are jam packed with cases already.
If the LL is within the parameters of the law where the SD is concerned then there would be no reason for the judge to be annoyed so I disagree. If the case goes to court the judge will decide upon the merits of the case itself. In the meantime the OP should try and reach a compromise on the amount being sought.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,282,318 times
We have found cat urine only after removing flooring so I do not doubt that it is possible this landlord did too.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,334,795 times
How could you not have known it was there just by the smell?? Honestly if you know there is a cat present in the house, I would have done a lot to make sure before I gave back a deposit.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,444,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
How could you not have known it was there just by the smell?? Honestly if you know there is a cat present in the house, I would have done a lot to make sure before I gave back a deposit.
The landlord obviously returned the security deposit prematurely. As far as the smell not being obvious immediately after a carpet cleaning, this has been the case in many rentals and isn't at all unusual.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:54 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,726,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
In my post I talked about how after professional carpet cleaning there was no pet smells. But after a week, I could catch a scent of it here and there. After two weeks, it reeked. Had to remove carpet, pad and treat the cement. I like cats but never will have one as a pet, their accidents/litter is too stinky no matter how much you clean it.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:11 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,401,599 times
Carpet, Pad Hardwood and even Subfloor... seen it happen and it happened to me.

Rented a small home to someone I work with... she has no pets and is allergic.

Anyway... the previos tenant picked up a stray Tomcat against the rules... she had the 2 year old carpet professionally cleaned... looked great.

Former tenant moved out December 31 and in California I have 21 days to return or account for deposit.

Heat was off and all seemed good...

New teanant moves in Feb 1 and turns on the Heat... after two days asks me to come over because of a oder...

Turns out having the heat on brought out an overpowering stench...

Ended up pulling carpet and pad, then the underlayment and then added a heavy mill plastic, new underlayment, pad and carpet...

When the carpet was pulled back the stained areas were 80% of the carpet... about the only place not stained was in the middle of the rooms.

All because of a CAT... the tenant knew should not have been there...

Tenant moved from California to Virginia... and this is why I have a no pet policy.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 PM

13,061 posts, read 20,718,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I believe the OP is in Kansas where a landlord has 30 days to return the security deposit. He returned the SD when the tenant moved out and upon finding the additional damage, advised the tenant 22 days later so I believe can still claim against the SD even though he returned it prematurely.
Correct.

Kansas statutes 60-513 (2) gives the landlord two (2) years to file suit for damages.

Kansas statutes 58-2550(e) (Kansas Landlord Tenant Act) specifically states that the return of the security deposit DOES NOT preclude a landlord from seeking payment for damages or sue for damages that were not deducted from the security deposit.

The ability of a landlord or tenant to pursue damages beyond the Landlord Tenant statutes was upheld on July 10, 1983 by the Kansas Supreme Court. Lower courts will always allow for an action based on KSA 58-2550(e) because the State supreme Court said they must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting