Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

My Bf and I signed a 1 year lease on a home for a move in date of March 1, paid our security deposit, which has been deposited and cleared the bank. We received a call from the rental agency that the current tenants are "being difficult" and won't be out by the first. After asking a few questions to him, it came out that their lease actually expires March 18th. We are 2 weeks away and have to be out of my apt ( I called the office to see if I could extend it by one month---they have already rented it). What do I do in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Your lease probably has a clause that says that if they can't produce the unit on the day you're supposed to move in, that they aren't liable for any costs to you. But, it should also say that at that point, you have the right to just void the lease.

So, see what your lease says.

And legally, if they can't honor the lease, then it's void - unless your lease has some other clause in it that you didn't pay attention to.

Anyway, your options are probably to either tell the landlord that there is no lease then, and you want your money back, and start looking for a place right away. Or, deal with having to move out of your place and pay for a hotel and putting your stuff in storage until the unit is ready.

Odds are that you won't be able to sue the landlord for any of the hotel or storage costs, though. If you could prove that the landlord's error in making your move-in date the 1st, when they should have known that the other tenant would not be out by then, then you could possibly charge them for the cost of your storage and hotel fees. But, if the other tenant said they'd be out by the 1st, even though their lease is up on the 18th, and the tenant changed his mind, and your lease says the landlord isn't liable if the previous tenant doesn't move out - you're stuck.

Anyway, would need all of the info to say for sure.

This happened to me once. Had to put everything in storage and pay for a hotel until I found another rental. My lease said the landlord wasn't liable if the current tenant didn't move out. C'est la vie.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the response..I just read thru my lease and didn't see anything in there stating this....Not sure what "Section" it is typically under.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:54 PM

In the contract that I used to use, this is the clause I'm referring to:

12. Possession of the Premises. If, after signing this Agreement, Tenants fail to take possession of the premises, they will still be responsible for paying rent and complying with all other terms of this Agreement. In the event Landlord is unable to deliver possession of the premises to Tenants for any reason not within Landlord's control, including, but not limited to, failure of prior occupants to vacate or partial or complete destruction of the premises, Tenants shall have the right to terminate this Agreement. In such event, Landlord's liability to Tenants shall be limited to the return of all sums previously paid by Tenants to Landlord.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrusoe View Post
Thanks for the response..I just read thru my lease and didn't see anything in there stating this....Not sure what "Section" it is typically under.

Usually found under General Provisions

Old 02-09-2015, 03:45 PM

I just looked...nothing like that in there. Only if We as the Tenants do not comply with their rules they have the right of possession

Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 AM

Well, then you could play hardball. Tell them they need to honor it or pay your hotel bill, storage, moving in and out of storage, until you find another place. Can they put you in another unit?

You can tell them that you will win in court because they knew they couldn't honor the contract, since the current lease doesn't end until 18 days after you were supposed to move in, and because of their actions, you will incur costs that you will be asking for in court, along with your legal fees and punitive damages.

Or, they can do whatever it takes to get that tenant out in time.

Good luck. What a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting