Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 03:15 PM

84 posts, read 175,701 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in an apartment unit owned by the Irvine Company in Irvine, California and our lease is up on 5/10/2015. We started house hunting in January because we knew it could take a while, but we ended up finding a place fairly quickly and are currently in escrow.

Looking at our current lease, there is a $4000 break fee specified (rent is $1690 a month). I guess my question is whether there is any way that can be avoided if we give them 30 days notice, attempt to find another tenant or etc.? It isn't the end of the world if we have to pay the fee, but it was my understanding that if we give 30-days notice they would be obligated to find a new tenant to rent the space? Or is that only if no break fee is specified? We might be better off just paying the remaining rent instead of breaking since we will need to be there through March anyways while escrow is happening.

Sorry if this exact situation has been given before, thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 03:38 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille1984 View Post
our lease is up on 5/10/2015.
We started house hunting in January ...and are currently in escrow.

...if we give 30-days notice...?
Do you expect to close before 5/10? Before 4/10? Before 3/10?

It's too late to give 30 days notice for the next period (rent due on 3/10)
Paying the rent as due on 4/10 is the ONLY issue here.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:45 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
You can give them 30 days notice at any time and they have to make a reasonable effort to re-rent the unit and mitigate their damages. This will explain:

Tenants Breaking a Lease in California | Nolo.com

You'll have to continue paying rent until the unit can be re-rented, or else pay the lease break fee. If your unit is in a building where units generally are rented quickly then that would be your best option but only you can decide that.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you expect to close before 5/10? Before 4/10? Before 3/10?

It's too late to give 30 days notice for the next period (rent due on 3/10)
Paying the rent as due on 4/10 is the ONLY issue here.
We actually pay rent on the first of each month. It's just a weird end date because we got a 7-month extension which was agreed to on 10/10/2014

We're expecting to close in mid-March. We were told likely escrow would take around a month, but obviously that could be slightly shorter or longer. We don't mind paying rent for the entire month of March anyways since that gives us extra time to do some painting/minor repairs before moving in.

My only real question is if we give 30 days notice on say March 1st, would we have to pay the break fee or only the extra rent for the time it takes them to find a new tenant? Its a pretty popular area so I doubt it would take long to fill the vacancy.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can give them 30 days notice at any time and they have to make a reasonable effort to re-rent the unit and mitigate their damages. This will explain:

Tenants Breaking a Lease in California | Nolo.com

You'll have to continue paying rent until the unit can be re-rented, or else pay the lease break fee. If your unit is in a building where units generally are rented quickly then that would be your best option but only you can decide that.

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille1984 View Post
We're expecting to close in mid-March.
And to pay the March rent on the 1st.

That leaves you with one more month due (4/1) on the lease.
Expect to pay it as well.
---

Does the lease have a non-renewal notice clause?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Seriously I would just close out the lease. Stay, make sure you give the CORRECT notice to move out so your move out date coincides to the last day on kease. IF something happens and you don't close on time, the seller needs a week to move, Whatever sonething somehow sets things back now you're not scrambling to put stuff in storage or find a place for a week.

A LL in California has to mitigate. But I bet your apartment sits at the bottom of the available list for as long as possible

Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Don't count on escrow closing on time. They rarely do.

You'll want some overlap so that you can clean up your new house and do any painting and flooring that you want to do before you move your stuff in.

It looks like it would work out cheaper to just keep paying rent until the lease expires. Be sure to give plenty of notice that you are terminating the lease and moving out at the end of the lease term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting