Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,166 times

Advertisements

finding an apartment is the worst.. I've found several apartments to rent.. let the new landlord know that i need to give current landlord 30 days notice of move out... their response" i'm looking for a move in asap".. ummm, i have a current lease.. i DO have to give notice to my current landlord. I cannot just pick up and move without proper notice who does that? What is the problem on waiting one month for the new tenant? i don't understand.. it's one month.. so i'm supposed to be all packed up w/ movers ready after our phone all? irritating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
land lords rent to make money they have land school/ water sewer tax maybe a loan to pay. like you have notice to give . well the answer is pay the months rent on both then slowly move over the 30 days. or ask out early from current .

Old 02-17-2015, 06:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
You'd be asking them to lose one month's rent. What you can probably get them to do, though, is let you move in in 2 weeks, instead of 4 weeks out. Yes, you'll be paying rent in two places for 2 weeks, if you can't make a deal with your current landlord.

The beauty of this, though, is the comfort of being able to take 2 weeks to move and clean.

You could try sticking to your guns. If they don't have anyone as good as you, they'd probably wait. But, you'd be gambling on losing it.

When I was a manager, I did expect to lose a month's rent if the tenant had to give 30 days notice, and I really wanted that tenant. Frankly, I was suspicious of people who could move in right away - unless they'd just relocated for a job, etc.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
There is almost always a gap between moving out of one apartment and into other and most people understand that there will often be a short period of a week or two when you're paying double rent.

It is totally unreasonable to expect a landlord to hold an empty unit for you for a month. If you can reasonably expect to find a place in a month then give notice to your current LL and then find a new place with the expectation of starting to pay rent as soon as you find it - particularly if you're in an area where rentals are quickly snapped up.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 PM

hmmmmm. not sure what to do as the current won't pro-rate if i move out early.. i'd be paying rent on both places like nomoresnowforme advices. i still have to give 30 day which i could pay , but still leave within 2 weeks. I don't think this would be a problem as i HAVE paid for the 30 days, or am i supposed to pay and actually live there the full 30 days? The thing is some of these listings have been on the market for months, the rent has even been reduced. What is another month?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:00 PM

486 posts, read 831,972 times
In my experience most places will hold the unit for ~2 weeks.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
I don't think this would be a problem as i HAVE paid for the 30 days, or am i supposed to pay and actually live there the full 30 days?
You can leave the day after you've paid your rent or you can move on the last day of the rent period - whatever works for you.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
hmmmmm. not sure what to do as the current won't pro-rate if i move out early.. i'd be paying rent on both places like nomoresnowforme advices. i still have to give 30 day which i could pay , but still leave within 2 weeks. I don't think this would be a problem as i HAVE paid for the 30 days, or am i supposed to pay and actually live there the full 30 days? The thing is some of these listings have been on the market for months, the rent has even been reduced. What is another month?
You can leave whenever you want, as long as you pay to the end of your 30 day notice (or end of your lease if required).

Why don't you try sticking to your guns, then, since these have been on the market so long. Call them up and say you'd love to have the apartment, but you can't move in until _______________. If you are willing to make that the start date, I can sign the lease today and give you the first month's rent and deposit in advance (or whatever you can afford - just the deposit, at least).

If they've been on the market awhile, they'll take your offer. They're just trying to get it rented asap. You could try it. I would. Worst case scenario they hold firm, and then you can decide if you want to take their apartment or keep looking.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:29 AM

you guys are awesome! ... i'll hand in security and first month's if she will take it. Apartment has been advertised for about 67 days and went from 1500 to 1000 since no takers i'm assuming...

Old 02-18-2015, 05:00 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I would charge last month as well. That is just called doing business just as a LL has the right to limit down time.

You are entitled to your opinion and the other side to theirs. There should be a place where the time lines match with your time lines so it shouldn't be an issue but perhaps you are looking at the wrong places.

We always go with first come first serve and the shortest down time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting