Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,602 times

Advertisements

I've been renting in a duplex for 10+ years now. When I moved in, the carpet in the living room and two bedrooms were old and worn out. I'm pretty sure the carpets weren't replaced since the previous renter because a corner in one of the bedrooms stinks of cat urine where his/her cat would go and pee. The average person would have never rented the place as it was, but at the time my family and I were homeless and weren't in a position to complain. But now, ten years later, it's like walking on cardboard.

The carpet is completely past its expiry date and I'm looking to get it replaced, however I'm unsure if I'd be responsible for paying for it (fully, or half), or if it's the landlords responsibility. I live in Wisconsin.

Please only answer if you have useful insight on this problem. I've tried getting help on this situation, and all I've gotten is sarcastic answers or people telling me to just move. If that were an option, trust me, I'd leave in a heartbeat

Last edited by Danmarie; 02-19-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 04:30 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,385,119 times
It is normal wear and tear and you HAVE paid for it through your monthly rent payment to the landlord. Landlord has the responsibility to pay in total for carpet that is worn out from normal use. If the carpet gets replaced and you damage it then YOU would responsible for that, but not for normal use, wear and tear.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:33 PM

13,077 posts, read 20,749,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmarie View Post
Please only answer if you have useful insight on this problem.
Please provide what state you are in as each state has their own specific laws and regulations. Additionally, if you are located in a state with municipal rent control or other municipal local regulatory provisions, you need to tell us what city.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Please provide what state you are in as each state has their own specific laws and regulations. Additionally, if you are located in a state with municipal rent control or other municipal local regulatory provisions, you need to tell us what city.
I live in Wisconsin. I'll add that to the first post.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,562,029 times
Keep in mind that if a LL charges you for new carpet the LL needs to proof how old the carpet was by showing an invoice from that date and not by just saying it was recently bought.

If you have lived there for 10 years or longer then no worries since the life expectancy for carpet is approx. 7 years depending on what kind of carpet it is.

However that doesn't mean you can leave it behind in a very bad shape but you can be held liable for renewal either. If you have it cleaned on move out that should be sufficient.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,470,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmarie View Post

The carpet is completely past its expiry date and I'm looking to get it replaced, however I'm unsure if I'd be responsible for paying for it (fully, or half), or if it's the landlords responsibility. I live in Wisconsin.
Have you asked your landlord about replacing the carpet? If the place came carpeted and the carpet has obviously lived out its life, it would seem (even setting aside the legal question of replacement cost) perfectly reasonable to bring its condition to the attention of the LL and ask that he replace it. In my opinion you shouldn't have to pay anything towards the replacement cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting