Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:16 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,680 times

Advertisements

In Ohio, there is a clear cut clause "NO TENANTS SHALL BE EVICTED FOR EXERCISING THEIR LAWFUL RIGHTS!". Think I got the wording verbatim, but close enough. I doubt his lawyer would even allow a case to go to court if he knew the real reasons.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
If you scroll up to another post(unless I replied to a poster you might have muted), GSI, gross sexual imposition on a female child.
And I'm sure you looked further and found out which state, how old he was at the time and how old the "child" was at the time before coming to any conclusion based solely on the listing of the charge of which he was convicted? Again, maybe your landlord did all that.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And I'm sure you looked further and found out which state, how old he was at the time and how old the "child" was at the time before coming to any conclusion based solely on the listing of the charge of which he was convicted? Again, maybe your landlord did all that.
His case was in 2012. So let me get this straight, a sex offender who committed a crime 20-30 years is somehow better than a "current" sex offender? Got it

Last edited by weatherphotographer; 03-01-2015 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: i had the wrong date sorry

Old 03-01-2015, 03:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
His case was in the mid 2000s. So let me get this straight, a sex offender who committed a crime 20-30 years is somehow better than a "current" sex offender? Got it
If he was 18 and she was 17, the story has more chapters....

Old 03-01-2015, 03:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Oh he certainly could. But his "reasons" will be exposed in open court. The can of worms on some of the other fraud he has committed would come out also. In short, he may have his day in court with me, but he's gonna come out in worse shape than I will.

Thanks for the tip though

What court case? He is within legal right to tell you that your month to month lease won't continue and you have to move out in 30 or 60 days (however many days your state requires).

Then you must move out or you face formal eviction proceedings for staying past the lease end date.

You can't decide to to sue the landlord for not renewing your lease when they have every legal right because you are on 'month to month' lease. So they aren't kicking you out mid-lease. That would be your only defense, but you are on month to month. Evenif you contested the eviction (if you stay past the 30 or 60 days), even if the landlord admits to not renewing your lease BECAUSE you outed the sexual offender guy...the landlord is still within his legal right to make you move out.

What are you going to sue him for? Civil case for fraud? What are the monetary damages to you?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If he was 18 and she was 17, the story has more chapters....
He's actually 58. Try again.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
He's actually 58. Try again.
I'm not "trying" anything. Just responding to your posts.

By the way, I thought you blocked me; or did you just say you did?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
His case was in 2012. So let me get this straight, a sex offender who committed a crime 20-30 years is somehow better than a "current" sex offender? Got it
You didn't answer the questions so one must therefore assume that you're assuming ...

Old 03-01-2015, 03:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Oh he certainly could. But his "reasons" will be exposed in open court. The can of worms on some of the other fraud he has committed would come out also. In short, he may have his day in court with me, but he's gonna come out in worse shape than I will.

Thanks for the tip though
Wait, aren't there laws about where a registered sex offender can work or live? Why not call the police non-emergency number and ask them? The maintenance guy surely has a probation officer who could check on him.

That way you could have avoided talking to the landlord and running off flyers and antagonizing anyone who might be in a position to make your life inconvenient.

I agree with you, OP, 100%. I would be very upset to know that a man like that had keys to my place and proximity to my family.

If he needs work, he can be a maintenance man at a warehouse/factory/industry.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
In Ohio, there is a clear cut clause "NO TENANTS SHALL BE EVICTED FOR EXERCISING THEIR LAWFUL RIGHTS!". Think I got the wording verbatim, but close enough. I doubt his lawyer would even allow a case to go to court if he knew the real reasons.
You wouldn't be evicted! Eviction is kicking someone out BEFORE their lease term ends. Your lease term is only 30 days so he can give you notice to move out by telling you he doesn't want you to live there any more. Legally this act is NOT an eviction. So your quote of law above doesn't apply here.

But if you aren't out by the 30 (or 60 days) that he gives you, then the next step is eviction. However, the reason for eviction is because you stayed past the lease expiration and didn't move out by the date the landlord required.

You see here - your only protection from getting kicked out is while your lease term is still in-effect. For example, if your lease expired in Sept of 2015 he couldn't evict you next month for sending out the flyers. But after Sept 2015 he could choose to allow your lease to expire.

So for now he only owes you the month-to-month lease agreement that is in-place. Meaning he can require you to move in 30 days. Sounds like he already gave you warning about this. Expect your 30 day notice very soon. Seems like you're going to be moving.

No court will allow you to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting