Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:40 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to read ads, you can drive around and look for the "for rent" signs. Or you can know someone who is moving out of a good apartment and have them tip you off when they give their notice.

All vacancies in apartments in my area are advertised on Craigslist. The really big complexes have a little color flier that is available outside of the grocery stores. Some of the apartment buildings will also have a "for rent" sign out on the street in front of the building.

The places who are advertising apartments on Craigslist won't say that it is an apartment until you get to the end of the ad (which is extremely annoying to me). There won't be anything about "apartment" in the ad title and they use photos that disguise the fact that it is an apartment building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:28 AM

544 posts, read 1,237,931 times
Craigslist, broker site listings here in NYC and walking/riding around look for signs or if a super is out, i ask them for any vancancy in and around..

Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 PM

11 posts, read 10,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
When I do apartment searches, generally only relatively large apartment complexes show up. But I know that there are several small apartment buildings (maybe with 6 or 12 units) that don't show up on the listings, but still have spaces available. What's the best way of locating these buildings? Do I just have to drive around and see if they have phone numbers out in front or something like that, or are there "easier" ways?
Hi,
Check the local paper, drive around looking for rent signs, knock on a door to ask for the contact information of the landlord, contact a real estate agent, or ask family and friends for referrals. I hope this helps

Old 03-12-2015, 08:56 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
I own/lease rental property. I size up my renters.

go in person to apply and dress like you're going for an interview, because you are! Dress neatly, clean, casual/business casual, drive a nice, clean car---it doesn't have to be a Mercedes, but run it through the car wash and clean out the fast food crap! Act business-like. Carry a notebook or clipboard or something to take notes, have a pen handy, have your stuff together, know your info like DL number, SSN, last addresses, have a check handy to make a deposit to show you're serious, wipe your feet before walking into the office.............etc, etc...........I don't have to rent to anyone. don't think those "equal opportunity housing" laws mean anything. I can't say I do not want to rent to you because you are A, B, C.....but I don't have to give a reason. I just say nothing is currently available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting