Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:19 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva32 View Post
I agree, prettybaby. There needs to be an applause emoji! Apartment Dweller absolutely nailed it. I especially like the line that it works BOTH ways. It's the people who can't respect others and can't keep their noise within their walls who should not be renting an apartment. This belief that we can and should just do whatever the heck we want, regardless of others, is why tenants and landlords have problems. If you have a clause in your lease that states something about quiet enjoyment, yet you don't enforce that, you will have endless problems. Why not get rid of the problem tenant? If I were a landlord, I would want respectful, quiet people in my property. How can the landlord not wonder what this person is doing to their property when they come banging and crashing in at 3:00 AM?
Also, all of the people on here who are so dismissive and incredibly not helpful, it would appear you are landlords. Where does the disdain towards GOOD tenants come from?
Bravo to prettybaby, ladygodiva and apartmentdweller!!

Yeah, tell me the last time a tenant EVER complained about their neighbor being 'too quiet'. NEVER!

So why in Sam hell wouldn't it be smart for LLs to be proactive in addressing complaints about obnoxiously noisy neighbors? It is MUCH cheaper and cost effective to deal with that cancer instead of leaving your good respectful neighbors in total frustration or losing them. AND the next person who rents next to that cancer ends up with the same problem!

Makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.

Just deal with or get rid of the cancer before it spreads, screen your tenants better and the problem is solved.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva32 View Post
There shouldn't be limited solutions, though! I gather most of the people with the annoyed responses are landlords who don't WANT to deal with noise complaints. I read on another thread about someone who lives somewhere where tenants get 3 strikes and they're out. If a tenant gets repeated complaints about them from more than one neighbor, they should be kicked to the curb. Period. Maybe if there were REAL consequences there wouldn't be so many inconsiderate people living in apartments, making other people's lives hell. Just a thought. Also, those who are still annoyed by this topic are STILL not getting why people still want to post and discuss this issue. For the 80th time, no one is making you read this thread!
80 to 90% of the problem stems with the LL or the manaqement company. They just don't want to get involved or they just want bodies in the apts paying the rent and little to no turnover....PERIOD!

Again, I am suffering the same problems that you are and everything I try to explain to the LL either in person or in letter seems to fall on deaf ears. They are basically slumlords. They just don't care and they don't want to deal with it unless you have filed a police report or the other tenant was issued a ticket. Then they will jump but not if they have to do anything themselves.

I just don't get it because it is beyond me why they would want to lose a good longstanding tenant who consistently pays their rent on time and causes no problems or gets any complaints. OVER a consistent trouble maker who is going to stay there and **** off the next tenant and cause them even more grief over and over and over again.

Why?? Just WHY?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
80 to 90% of the problem stems with the LL or the manaqement company. They just don't want to get involved or they just want bodies in the apts paying the rent and little to no turnover....PERIOD!

Again, I am suffering the same problems that you are and everything I try to explain to the LL either in person or in letter seems to fall on deaf ears. They are basically slumlords. They just don't care and they don't want to deal with it unless you have filed a police report or the other tenant was issued a ticket. Then they will jump but not if they have to do anything themselves.

I just don't get it because it is beyond me why they would want to lose a good longstanding tenant who consistently pays their rent on time and causes no problems or gets any complaints. OVER a consistent trouble maker who is going to stay there and **** off the next tenant and cause them even more grief over and over and over again.

Why?? Just WHY?
Why didn't you screen your landlord or location better?

What I don't get it every tenant wants cheap rent, but not what goes along with it.

You can screen tenants all day long, but no where in the credit or background check does noise even come up....so tell me how 'screening tenants better' is going to fix the noise problem? And how does this apply to daily living noise or noise exasperated by the building construction?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
They just don't want to get involved or they just want bodies in the apts paying the rent and little to no turnover....PERIOD!
Actually, I find the turnover part to be false most of the time. It might be true with the smaller landlords, but not with the larger corporations. They don't seem to care who leaves. If they did, they would manage the places better and try to keep the good tenants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

What I don't get it every tenant wants cheap rent, but not what goes along with it.

You can screen tenants all day long, but no where in the credit or background check does noise even come up....so tell me how 'screening tenants better' is going to fix the noise problem? And how does this apply to daily living noise or noise exasperated by the building construction?
I've actually tried screening landlords and locations. Many of the larger corporations change hands so much that what you get when you move in isn't what you end up with a few months into the lease. I would have loved to find a smaller landlord situation, but in my area, there were very few of those and generally the ones offering rentals weren't in convenient areas for me.
I also always try to drive up and spend a little time at the location at different times of the day/week before moving in. However, all it takes is one jerk moving in and all that changes.

In regards to screening for noise... I agree that it's impossible. It's not like anyone is going to just tell the landlord that they walk like a buffalo or that they like to make smoothies at 2am.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

I DID screen the LL as much as I could. The actual owner did not rent to me. They had someone else renting their apts. A separate mgmt. co. It was a relative of theirs but I did not know that at the time. They only owned a few 4 unit buildings so it was not like they were big enough to screen them anywhere. This was 14 some years ago.

A year or more into living here the owners took over.

And 'screening' does not stop at the initial renting. It continues on as tenants are living there!

My point is WHY not be receptive to your long term, good standing tenants who have concerns? They know me well enough to know that I am not going to just complain about minor things. Why do they ignore my concerns and risk loosing a great tenant over someone who has been here less than a year who have already proven in other ways (garbage, parking, loud muffler, breakage of appliances caused by not watching their child, flooding my bathroom multiple times now by not watching their child, letting their child play on their upper deck unsupervised, being reported to CPS 3 times now and the police once for leaving their child home alone sleeping while they leave the premises in their vehicle to 'run an errand', and on and on and on)

The writing is clearly on the wall here. It makes absolutely NO sense to me why LLs would ever want to risk loosing their GOOD tenants over idiots like this!

And moving is NOT an option for me and it shouldn't have to be! I am not the one being disrespectful and causing disturbances for my neighbors.

And yadda, yadda, yadda, I know that you have to deal with normal daily noise as a renter. I GET THAT! And I DO deal with normal daily noise. NO PROBLEM! But when your neighbors think that everyone else should have to be in their business, deal with their stupidity, irresponsibility and unruly children and have to listen to the screaming and hollering at spanking/hitting their children and the constant disruption above your head, etc, etc then THAT is going to far.

And LLs are at a much better financial situation to get new tenants than a renter is to be able to afford to move. AND as I asked before, why would they want to lose their GOOD tenants over the abusive, disrespectful ones who will do the same thing to the next tenant?

Now, if you were a gambling person, which choice do you think would be the smartest route to go?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Actually, I find the turnover part to be false most of the time. It might be true with the smaller landlords, but not with the larger corporations. They don't seem to care who leaves. If they did, they would manage the places better and try to keep the good tenants.

I've actually tried screening landlords and locations. Many of the larger corporations change hands so much that what you get when you move in isn't what you end up with a few months into the lease. I would have loved to find a smaller landlord situation, but in my area, there were very few of those and generally the ones offering rentals weren't in convenient areas for me.
I also always try to drive up and spend a little time at the location at different times of the day/week before moving in. However, all it takes is one jerk moving in and all that changes.

In regards to screening for noise... I agree that it's impossible. It's not like anyone is going to just tell the landlord that they walk like a buffalo or that they like to make smoothies at 2am.
Be careful what you wish for! My LL is a smaller situation and it is pure hell!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:14 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
...... . It makes absolutely NO sense to me why LLs would ever want to risk loosing their GOOD tenants over idiots like this!.........
A landlord can not evict except for specific documented reasons. Your landlord can not go into court and ask the judge to evict your neighbor "because Corn-fused says they are bad tenants". The judge isn't going to grant an eviction because you don't like your neighbors.

The landlord has to have documented proof that the tenants should be removed. If the tenants are paying rent on time, it is not easy to get them out. It costs money to evict tenants and landlords aren't going to file for an eviction unless they think they have a good chance of winning.

Judges will not evict for children making noise. They just don't. They never have and they never will. Judges might evict for conspicuous waste, but that is difficult to prove and it has to be more than a little bit of breakage.

Judges want to see police reports for criminal behavior before they evict for criminal behavior. They most likely aren't going to evict for criminal behavior without seeing actual convictions (innocent until proven guilty).

If your problem neighbors happen to be Section 8 tenants, the housing authority will provide them with a free lawyer to fight an eviction effort.

It's very possible that your landlord can't get them out. What you can do to help is to keep calling the police and when there are enough police reports about violations of the law, then maybe the landlord can get them removed.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A landlord can not evict except for specific documented reasons. Your landlord can not go into court and ask the judge to evict your neighbor "because Corn-fused says they are bad tenants". The judge isn't going to grant an eviction because you don't like your neighbors.

The landlord has to have documented proof that the tenants should be removed. If the tenants are paying rent on time, it is not easy to get them out. It costs money to evict tenants and landlords aren't going to file for an eviction unless they think they have a good chance of winning.

Judges will not evict for children making noise. They just don't. They never have and they never will. Judges might evict for conspicuous waste, but that is difficult to prove and it has to be more than a little bit of breakage.

Judges want to see police reports for criminal behavior before they evict for criminal behavior. They most likely aren't going to evict for criminal behavior without seeing actual convictions (innocent until proven guilty).

If your problem neighbors happen to be Section 8 tenants, the housing authority will provide them with a free lawyer to fight an eviction effort.

It's very possible that your landlord can't get them out. What you can do to help is to keep calling the police and when there are enough police reports about violations of the law, then maybe the landlord can get them removed.
I don't care if they evict. The problem is the LL NOT addressing the problems at all with the unruly, disrespectful tenants after the good tenant has tried all means to mediate the situation themselves.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:11 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
I don't care if they evict. The problem is the LL NOT addressing the problems at all with the unruly, disrespectful tenants after the good tenant has tried all means to mediate the situation themselves.
Just how do you expect the landlord to address the problem? He's not their mother. He can't send them to their room without their supper. All he can do is to give them a notice to tone it down and if they don't, all he can do is evict them... except the courts will not evict them for having noisy children and no criminal convictions. So, just what are you expecting your landlord to do?

Old 04-17-2015, 11:25 PM

address the problem with the tenants just like I said! They are the LLs and their word has a lot more power than a tenant's does.

I SAID "I don't care if they evict". Can you not read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting