Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 11:27 PM

33 posts, read 45,525 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am really hoping to get some help here as I'm at a loss of what to do. I renewed a lease with my roommate last July, but our third roommate moved out so I asked an acquaintance of ours if she'd be interested in living with us, she agreed. All three of us are on the lease, and we each pay $615 a month for rent plus utilities.

We're all college students, and over our winter break we got notice that roomie #3 hadn't paid December rent, we figured it may have been a financial aid issue from school and paid it little mind. Then, towards the end of the break I get a text from roomie #2 saying our other roommate vacated her room She gave us no notice, and when we contacted her asking about it all she said was that she emailed us letting us know she was moving out, which was a lie. We asked that she forward the email again and all I got was an email saying "I moved out." She never paid December or January rent.

Our lease runs until the end of June, so we got a friend of mine to sublease from her starting in the middle of January until the end of May. She keeps saying her parents will pay the $1,048 she owes for those two months at the end of the month but it's been 2 months of that. She also owes me $168 from utilities and keeps telling me her mom mailed a check, which I haven't received. This morning we got an email from her mom asking to stop "harassing" her daughter, when all we've done is be polite, but she constantly ignores our attempts at communication.

Her mom wants to meet with us to settle the "issues" we're "claiming" but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Right now we're also worried she won't pay for June, which she is responsible for.

Should my roommate and I take her to small claims court? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npca06 View Post
Her mom wants to meet with us to settle the "issues" we're "claiming" but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Right now we're also worried she won't pay for June, which she is responsible for.

Should my roommate and I take her to small claims court? Thanks in advance!
Meet with her mother and, if the issue can't be resolved quickly and quietly, file your claim in court.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Meet with her mother and, if the issue can't be resolved quickly and quietly, file your claim in court.
This, and, don't be intimidated by her mother. Demand what you're owed, and have documentation, and if you don't get it, then file against your ex roomie (assuming she's 18.) PS: If you win, she is likely broke, and you won't actually collect, at least not for a couple of years. But you can put a mark on her credit that will follow her around.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,120 times
+1. Bring the original lease that your non-paying, ex-roommate signed and insist that the terms on paper be followed. Do not listen to threats or pleas. The lease governs the situation and your old roommate is in default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting