Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 829 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

I'm stuck as to what to do in my current situation.My husband and I moved into our duplex home in Feb 2015 We paid the security deposit and the first month's rent up front.The landlord gave us the application to fill out after we gave him the money and said to fill it out and return it back to him.We filled it out and called him to meet in his office to sign it in front of him and go over the terms and conditions of the lease,but he told us to just fill it out and put in the drop box of his office.I went ahead and did so but made sure not to sign anything seeing as we had not gone over any of the terms of the lease.We have since asked to sit with him and go over the terms and conditions of the lease and actually sign it but he keeps giving us the run around and keeps saying that he will get around to it and never does. We thought that he was just acting that way towards just us but our neighbors seem to have the same issue with him and more.and they were told to move out from one day to the next because he entered into their home without their permission and the wife was home and became upset because he didn't call or text if he could enter the premises without their permission.So because the wife became upset and got into a verbal altercation with him he told them that they has 7 days to move out.All we want is to move out and get our security deposit back.But I want to know if this will effect my credit score seeing as we never signed the actual lease.He hasn't asked us to move out but we feel as if he's trying to find a reason to do so.What can we do?

Thank you in advance for answers that you can help with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 11:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izaiahsmommy25 View Post
Breaking the lease without a written lease agreement.
Without a written lease you have a "Month to Month" tenancy.

Quote:
I'm stuck as to what to do in my current situation.
My husband and I moved into our duplex home in Feb 2015
We paid the security deposit and the first month's rent up front.

All we want is to move out and get our security deposit back.
What can we do?
Pay the rent you agreed to for your time there.
When ready to leave ...give the Landlord a WRITTEN notice that you'll be out.
Start packing and cleaning and be out when you said.

In some areas that notice is the same 30 days like the rent payment.
In some areas... it's shorter. Both ways.
---
If you're ready to go soon...
today (3/31) would be an ideal time to give notice.

Do that in person with a APRIL rent check in your hand.
ASK him how/when you can expect to get your SD returned.

When you get a satisfactory answer... pay the April rent.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I believe you're in Texas where you have to give the landlord one month's written notice to terminate a month to month rental agreement (which is what you have).

Within 30 days of your leaving your landlord must return to you your security deposit less any deductions for cleaning/damages. Leave the place spotless when you leave and take a bunch of dated photographs in case you need them to dispute any damage claims. In your next rental, take dated photographs also upon moving in.

Texas Security Deposits Limits and Deadlines | Nolo.com

Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
There will be state or provincial laws that cover both what notice is required and also for entering the premise. Where I live we must give 24 hours notice to enter the building unless there is an emergency such as broken water pipe. Of course one can ask the tenent for permission to come fix something but to enter the property unannounced does require notice. We also cannot give 7 day notice for any reason, the closest we can come with is either a 14 day or under unusual circumstances, an imediate notice to vacate but both of them require presenting it first for approval to the law court.

As a landlord and former tenent there are creeps and bad guys on both sides hence the need for laws and landlord tenent advisory boards , small claims courts and of course lawyers. We`ve done all except the lawyer bit. Good luck with this landlord but sounds like finding a new place might be best.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Make sure to take pictures and if possible make them with date and time stamped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting