Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 PM

13,113 posts, read 20,861,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
He tells tenants upfront if one of these checks should bounce it will get prosecuted and he always ask for jail time. He even writes it into the lease.
The landlord is just huffing and puffing with no muscle behind it.

1. It is the Prosecutor/DA who determines if the case will be submitted for criminal prosecution and a Judge is the one who establishes the penalty if guilty. In a case like this, it's highly unlikely a criminal charge will be filed and even less likely a Judge will impose any jail time. Just because a landlord puts something in a lease does not mean it's enforceable.

2. The landlord (depending on the state) could actually find the tables turned. By accepting the checks (post dating means nothing in this issue) they are accepting the full value of the checks. It's possible that a smart tenant may ask for any overage back beyond the current rent due and if the landlord refuses, they may be able to sue over a refundable security deposit/advance rent violation.

3. A tenant always has the ability to tell the landlord not to cash any of the checks so long as its done before the landlord attempts to deposit it. Once the landlord is told the check is no good, it's on them if they ignore the notice and cashes it anyway. Additionally, the tenant can now just write the checks for the amount due When Due and there is really little the landlord can due about it.

So, the landlord is just acting all macho and stuff but in reality, the tenant's hold most of the card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
I would be telling that landlord where to stuff his idea and anyone who agrees to those terms is not the brightest fish in the barrel.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,744,135 times
I would have no problem agreeing to such terms as long as they were cashed on the 1st of the month (or whenever the month "begins" on the lease). Saves me a 20 min trip across town and my money always is in the bank before i pay rent anyway.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:52 AM

8,863 posts, read 5,347,088 times
How exactly am I supposed to know what my checking account balance will be 6 months from now?

If everyone who wrote a bad check was proesecuted I suspect the majority of other ilegal activities would remain unprosecuted.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:58 AM

18,533 posts, read 15,514,456 times
I would be very hesitant to move into a place with that kind of landlord. What is my recourse if the place is borderline uninhabitable? I wouldn't be able to threaten to withhold rent if repairs were not made. It's a perverse incentive for the landlord to neglect the place and thus require a TREMENDOUS legal headache trying to deal with.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:11 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,042,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
^^^ No it isn't in most states.

I LIKE the idea. Except find a place with jail space for someone with one bounced check. Not gonnahappen.

Modern landlords have direct deposit. I haven't handled cash or checks in years!
Writing a check with the knowledge that there are no funds in the account to cover that check is, technically, fraud. In many states, there is language which makes it a crime to induce someone to commit fraud. Aside from the landlord's grossly unethical behavior on a human level, that landlord is quite possibly engaging in felonious criminal activity.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:29 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,624,962 times
Along the same lines, where I rent if your rent checks bounce once thereafter you have to pay your rent with a money order or cashiers check. Very inconvenient but oh well that's what folks get for writing a check with inadequate funds to cover it. Also if you don't pay by the EOB on the 2nd you are automatically charged an $85.00 late fee and so many dollars per day thereafter. Not sure as my rule is that when I get up on the first of the month my rent is paid and they put
my check thru electronically on the 31st or last day of the month and it has cleared by the 1st. Sleep better at night this way.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,744,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I would be very hesitant to move into a place with that kind of landlord. What is my recourse if the place is borderline uninhabitable? I wouldn't be able to threaten to withhold rent if repairs were not made. It's a perverse incentive for the landlord to neglect the place and thus require a TREMENDOUS legal headache trying to deal with.
Or in this situation you could cancel the checks, hypothetically.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,698,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
A landlord I know would get his tenants into a 12-month lease and would have them fork over post-dated checks for each of the months in the lease term. If ever a check bounced he turned it over to the District Attorney for prosecuting. Doesn't this tactic seem a bit extreme and harsh?
Anyone who fell for this was a dummy or he must have been offering a great deal on a low rent for people to accept this.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:06 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,010,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Or in this situation you could cancel the checks, hypothetically.
Yes, but you have to pay to put a stopped payment on a check. What's the fee, like $30? You're looking at several hundred to cancel a whole years' worth of checks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting