Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 31,158 times

Advertisements

Hello. I found this forum and it seems like there are a lot of experts here so any input is appreciated.

I am on the lease and am paying rent on time and have never had a problem and have my gf listed on the paperwork.

After we moved in the gffs mother moved in with us. She helps with the rent and although can be a little annoying has not been a big problem. So here is my problem.

The mother has a felony record (I did not know this at the time) for a pretty serious theft charge that is recent. The way I found out is her probation officer came to my apartment so I checked online.

I like her and she helps to cook and clean and has a low paying job and contributes a little to the rent, which helps.

She has mental issues but is on meds but there are some red flags especially that it appears she tries to use to guys for money and favors.

We don't a lot of money and her mom contributing helps but I am worried that somebody might report to the rental office that she is a felon and I could get evicted for not listing her.

With the probation officer checking in I don't know the law but maybe he may have to talk to the rental office or some of her guy friends that know a lot about her might call the rental office and tell them (she seems to go through guys....not healthy).

If somebody reports to the rental office about my gfs mom will they ask her to leave or even try to evict me?

I have always paid rent on time am hoping that I can explain if this happens.

She helps with the rent so if they found out do you think they would let her stay?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:46 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,776 times
Forget the felon part for now. Do you have permission from the rental office to have her live there?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Are you allowed to have a third person living there? Did you seek your landlord's permission? Are all occupants required to be on the lease? Most landlords do require that and your girlfriend mother's record may well disqualify her and result in YOU being given a 3 day cure or quit notice.

My suggestion is to come clean and talk to your landlord. Whether it's a healthy situation to have your girlfriend's mother living with you given her history (particularly since you weren't aware of the conviction) is none of the forum's business other than it could have repercussions on you as the legal tenant.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
OP, I'm not your landlord and I don't know what your landlord would do.

I would immediately give you your notice to vacate for moving in an additional person without permission. If you didn't go, I would take you to court and have you evicted. It makes no difference whether she moved out after you got the notice, you'd still be out.

If you had applied to have her added to the lease and I screened her, I'd reject your request because of the felony.

Your landlord might do it different. If you ask permission, he might just charge you additional rent and let her stay.

Quite honestly, it sounds to me like someone will be complaining to management about her: too many men, mental health issues, dishonest... it's a matter of time before she causes some sort of problems with one neighbor or another.

Yes, the probation officer might speak to the landlord. Or maybe he won't. You are gambling on that.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 31,158 times
Wow! I guess there are a lot of things I didn't consider. This is my first apartement ever rented. We are supposed to list all residents. She came after we moved in. How thorough they are on the checks I don't know. My gf and I have zero legal issues.

Her mom is very quiet and does not interact with neighbors but after learning that she is a felon there seem to be all kinds of potential ways the office can find out. She is not a violent person and is not a physical danger but I could see how she might cause problems if strange men visit the apt. Right now she sleeps in the living room. I don't think she would upset any neighbors just that she is not listed as a resident and who knows. Not the forums business I understand but she owes people money...the victims, and ex bfs I think and I don't know her probation terms. Maybe she can find a bf who will take her in.

I will talk with my gf and try to figure out what to do. She has no place to go. burned a lot of bridges maybe. I don't want to put her in the street and I don't want to lose my gf over it and I certainly don't want to be out of an apt What a mess. Thank you for your input.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboss View Post
... I don't want to lose my gf over it and I certainly don't want to be out of an apt
You and your girlfriend need to have a good chat and then get her mother out of there asap - whatever it takes. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, I'm not your landlord and I don't know what your landlord would do.

I would immediately give you your notice to vacate for moving in an additional person without permission. If you didn't go, I would take you to court and have you evicted. It makes no difference whether she moved out after you got the notice, you'd still be out.

If you had applied to have her added to the lease and I screened her, I'd reject your request because of the felony.

Your landlord might do it different. If you ask permission, he might just charge you additional rent and let her stay.

Quite honestly, it sounds to me like someone will be complaining to management about her: too many men, mental health issues, dishonest... it's a matter of time before she causes some sort of problems with one neighbor or another.

Yes, the probation officer might speak to the landlord. Or maybe he won't. You are gambling on that.

Ka-ching Ka-ching. If a family moves into a rental and they have another kid, does the rent go up?

Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Ka-ching Ka-ching. If a family moves into a rental and they have another kid, does the rent go up?

Hardly the same situation. The mother is unrelated to the leaseholder, a grown adult and a felon.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:55 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Ridiculous post. The landlord should be able to qualify everyone living there based on their criteria. It's not about money. It's about the OP moving a woman in without having her screened or added to the lease.

OP, you need to move her out ASAP. I've tossed people out for the same. It all depends on the circumstances, but trying to hider her is not going to end well in most cases. I'd almost bank on the PO talking to the landlord at some point to verify residency if that is a requirement of her supervision.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Hardly the same situation. The mother is unrelated to the leaseholder, a grown adult and a felon.

If the leaseholder gets married and the new spouse moves in does the rent go up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting