Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 09:59 AM

303 posts, read 237,078 times

Advertisements

Looking at a tenant with 3 judgments against them; one from 2010, one from 2011, and one from 2013.

Each one is for about $650.

I'm new to the landlord scene.

Do these judgments mean that they CURRENTLY owe that money to the previous landlord

Could they have paid it off at some point, but the records don't reflect that they are paid off?

These are all from previous apartment complexes; typically does this mean they skipped out on rent or does this imply some sort of property damage?

I will certainly ask this prospective tenant to explain, but would like to hear from some folks on this side of the counter first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:23 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I would deny this person.

It means that for whatever reason, they've screwed over their 3 of their recent landlords. That isn't just a mistake, it is a pattern.

The credit report should show whether the bills have been paid off. Almost every one I've ever seen has a "high balance" or "original balance" as well as a "current balance".

But regardless of whether they were paid off or not, if they have made the last 3 landlords get judgments, odds are extremely high they will move out owing you money also.

The only way to find out if it was rent or damages is to ask the landlords (not the tenant, although you could ask them for verification), which you should do anyway if you were considering them, but I would just say no.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:55 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If those are judgements owed to landlords, don't bother to ask for an explanation, just reject the application.

If you learned about those judgements from a credit report, you have to mail the applicant a letter stating that the rejection was based upon the credit report and telling them how to get a copy of the report directly from the reporting company. The company you got the credit report from should have a form letter that you can print off and send.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Reject them unless you want to be the next landlord getting a judgement.

Don't ask the tenant to explain. The good ones almost always have fabulous explanations that make them look like innocent victims that did everything correctly.

I had an applicant that had prior evictions,several lawsuits file against him,judgements, auto re-posessions, bankruptcy. He tried to explain away every one if them, like they were all someone else's fault. I turned him down, even though he had an excellent income and a great job.

I googled him a couple years later and saw a foreclosure was added to the list. I bet he had a good excuse for that as well.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:35 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Reject them unless you want to be the next landlord getting a judgement.

Don't ask the tenant to explain. The good ones almost always have fabulous explanations that make them look like innocent victims that did everything correctly.

I had an applicant that had prior evictions,several lawsuits file against him,judgements, auto re-posessions, bankruptcy. He tried to explain away every one if them, like they were all someone else's fault. I turned him down, even though he had an excellent income and a great job.

I googled him a couple years later and saw a foreclosure was added to the list. I bet he had a good excuse for that as well.
Nearly everyone who has a landlord collection or an eviction will explain how it was someone else's fault. Very rarely have I ever had someone say "I was young and dumb and screwed up". Perhaps counter-intuitively, I would be much more likely to take someone who owned their mistake and say "yep, my bad", than someone who had an excuse for everything.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Just say no.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
Looking at a tenant with 3 judgments against them...
How many judgments have you (or 98% of people you know) had?

Getting HALFWAY to the point in the LL:Tenant misunderstanding
and/or unpaid rent and/or damages process where a judgment would be issued is the concern.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
Looking at a tenant with 3 judgments against them; one from 2010, one from 2011, and one from 2013.

Each one is for about $650.

I'm new to the landlord scene.

Do these judgments mean that they CURRENTLY owe that money to the previous landlord

Could they have paid it off at some point, but the records don't reflect that they are paid off?

These are all from previous apartment complexes; typically does this mean they skipped out on rent or does this imply some sort of property damage?

I will certainly ask this prospective tenant to explain, but would like to hear from some folks on this side of the counter first.

Unless you wanna be lucky LL number four I would deny. Sorry but for me judgements are automatic denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting