Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 PM

488 posts, read 856,928 times

Advertisements

Short Version - Will I be "that tenant" if I ask for continued exterminator follow ups for a mouse issue?

Full Explanation:

I am terrified of mice. I can't help it. I just am. My first apartment (which was condemned not too long after I moved into it) was infested. This made my issues worse. To date, I still have nightmares about mice crawling on me. *shudder*

Anyhow, fast forward to now. I live in a great place, which I absolutely adore. My landlord is very good. We honestly hardly ever speak. He checks in occasionally but I pride myself on being a low-maintenance tenant. I only contact him with what I feel are valid concerns, which to date have only been 3 times (clogged dryer vents, a water leak in the wall, and the mouse) in a year and a half.

The mouse. *shudder* On the coldest day of the year, I was sitting at my computer when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. A minute later, my fear was confirmed and I played peekaboo with a mouse for over two hours while I sat frozen in fear. While stuck at my desk, I emailed him requesting an exterminator.

We had some discussion back and forth about my expectations (I realize he doesn't have access to the rest of the building - I just asked for him to take care of my place and the common basement). I found their likely access point to my apartment from the basement and, with his permission, sealed the hole with that spray foam stuff.

Then I set out glue traps where they had obviously been hanging out (found a pile of droppings) and waited for the exterminator. Since this all happened on the weekend, hours before the biggest snow storm of the year, it was going to be a few days before one would come out. He asked me to get the traps and offered to let me deduct it from my rent. (I did buy the traps, I did not deduct the cost from my rent, since he did comply with the exterminator request.)

The exterminator came, left out poison, found how they were getting into the basement and was planning on discussing with my landlord on how to seal the basement. The last discussion I had with my landlord on the subject was he would discuss sealing it with the Condo Association since it was in the common area. I have not mentioned the subject again. I sort of got the impression he thought I was a little irrational about the situation, but I did explain my history with infestation to sort of help him understand where I'm coming from.

I haven't seen any again, I haven't caught any in the glue traps, and I haven't seen any new droppings. But at least once a week I can hear the very clear sounds of scratching. At this time, I am not 100% certain if the mice are in the walls or my storage closet, though I'm reasonably sure it's the walls. (Okay, I'm really, really hoping it's the walls.) The sound always comes from the same spot.

I'm moving within the next few months, pending a job relocation. I may need to leave before my lease is up due to this. My credit is a little lower than is ideal due to some past problems, so a good landlord reference (never been late on my rent) always goes a long way in helping me find a new place.

So, my question is this - will I be "that tenant" if I ask for a follow up visit from the exterminator? Is this an overreaction or would a landlord truly want to know there are mice in the walls for the sake of their property? I don't want my reference to be "Sure she pays on time, but freaks out over minor issues."

What say you - if this was your place, would you want me to keep notifying you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Short Version - Will I be "that tenant" if I ask for continued exterminator follow ups for a mouse issue?

Full Explanation:

I am terrified of mice. I can't help it. I just am. My first apartment (which was condemned not too long after I moved into it) was infested. This made my issues worse. To date, I still have nightmares about mice crawling on me. *shudder*

Anyhow, fast forward to now. I live in a great place, which I absolutely adore. My landlord is very good. We honestly hardly ever speak. He checks in occasionally but I pride myself on being a low-maintenance tenant. I only contact him with what I feel are valid concerns, which to date have only been 3 times (clogged dryer vents, a water leak in the wall, and the mouse) in a year and a half.

The mouse. *shudder* On the coldest day of the year, I was sitting at my computer when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. A minute later, my fear was confirmed and I played peekaboo with a mouse for over two hours while I sat frozen in fear. While stuck at my desk, I emailed him requesting an exterminator.

We had some discussion back and forth about my expectations (I realize he doesn't have access to the rest of the building - I just asked for him to take care of my place and the common basement). I found their likely access point to my apartment from the basement and, with his permission, sealed the hole with that spray foam stuff.

Then I set out glue traps where they had obviously been hanging out (found a pile of droppings) and waited for the exterminator. Since this all happened on the weekend, hours before the biggest snow storm of the year, it was going to be a few days before one would come out. He asked me to get the traps and offered to let me deduct it from my rent. (I did buy the traps, I did not deduct the cost from my rent, since he did comply with the exterminator request.)

The exterminator came, left out poison, found how they were getting into the basement and was planning on discussing with my landlord on how to seal the basement. The last discussion I had with my landlord on the subject was he would discuss sealing it with the Condo Association since it was in the common area. I have not mentioned the subject again. I sort of got the impression he thought I was a little irrational about the situation, but I did explain my history with infestation to sort of help him understand where I'm coming from.

I haven't seen any again, I haven't caught any in the glue traps, and I haven't seen any new droppings. But at least once a week I can hear the very clear sounds of scratching. At this time, I am not 100% certain if the mice are in the walls or my storage closet, though I'm reasonably sure it's the walls. (Okay, I'm really, really hoping it's the walls.) The sound always comes from the same spot.

I'm moving within the next few months, pending a job relocation. I may need to leave before my lease is up due to this. My credit is a little lower than is ideal due to some past problems, so a good landlord reference (never been late on my rent) always goes a long way in helping me find a new place.

So, my question is this - will I be "that tenant" if I ask for a follow up visit from the exterminator? Is this an overreaction or would a landlord truly want to know there are mice in the walls for the sake of their property? I don't want my reference to be "Sure she pays on time, but freaks out over minor issues."

What say you - if this was your place, would you want me to keep notifying you?

I'm not currently a landlord, but you bet. (As long as you are not calling in a panic every day, and it sounds as if you are not.) I think that in most, if not all, states, LLs can get in legal trouble for inadequate rodent control.

An occasional wandering mouse is a minor issue, but in your case, there is reason to suspect that there is a resident population. Easier to control in its earlier stages.

Since the very thought of mice freaks you out, it might be better to email your LL than call. You will be better able to take a deep breath and communicate calmly and factually.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I would have no problem if you called to let me know there is a continuing problem with mice. The landlord needs to coordinate with the HOA, if necessary.

I would suggest that you don't go into your fears, etc. He'll probably just glaze over and not know what to say, and will wonder if you're just a hysterical person.

But, a matter of fact, short and sweet phone call, "Hey, Joe, the mice are still a problem. Would you send the exterminator out again, please?"

That'll do. You could do it in an email, even, then you'd have a written record of your request and that it's an ongoing problem - which you probably won't ever need, but good to have just in case.

In fact, not telling him could make you liable, if the mice chew up wiring or something like that, and he says, "Why didn't you tell me the mice were still a problem?"

Old 04-03-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

In fact, not telling him could make you liable, if the mice chew up wiring or something like that, and he says, "Why didn't you tell me the mice were still a problem?"
Thank you. This thought had occurred to me and I was pretty sure this would be a valid reason why I should tell him.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm not currently a landlord, but you bet. (As long as you are not calling in a panic every day, and it sounds as if you are not.) I think that in most, if not all, states, LLs can get in legal trouble for inadequate rodent control.

An occasional wandering mouse is a minor issue, but in your case, there is reason to suspect that there is a resident population. Easier to control in its earlier stages.

Since the very thought of mice freaks you out, it might be better to email your LL than call. You will be better able to take a deep breath and communicate calmly and factually.
Thank you. No, I'm not calling in a panic daily. LOL The original "incident" was probably around six weeks ago. I heard the scratching for the first few weeks. I decided to calm myself and give the poison time to do it's job. I went about 3 weeks without hearing anything, then it started up again yesterday.

I do deal with him pretty exclusively via email just for convenience sake. Plus, I don't want to interrupt his day for a non-emergency, so I figure he'll respond at his convenience if I email him. He always responds within a day, so we have a good system.

I appreciate your input!

Old 04-03-2015, 03:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Chewing Wire as said by NMS is Dangerous can lead to a Fire! Sounds like a Nest! Try to give them an Excate location of the noise. Make a Mark on the wall When you Do hear the noise. Not in Bold Marker... use something wash off or cover easy not bleed thru when painted!

We had Bed bug problem! ugh!!! LL treated 3 apt cause of it they had made Nests in the walls! They finally had to treat ALL the APTs in my row to finally get rid of them!

Old 04-03-2015, 04:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Tell them simply that it sounds like the mouse problem is back inside the walls and suggest that a follow-up by the exterminator is probably in order. Your fears and anxieties about mice have nothing to do with the problem at hand and going into detail there, will only cause them to wonder if they are dealing with a real problem ... or an over-active imagination.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,645 times
Unhappy Landlord won't fix source where problem is

I have a landlord who will sometimes send the exterminator for my major rodent problem but won't fix the source of where the rodents are getting in and it's causing me health issues what can I do I'm on a housing voucher being disabled and I can't afford the security deposit my city paid when I moved in to move again I have over 125 photos of caught rodents five years

Last edited by Jr cena; 06-05-2017 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 06-06-2017, 04:53 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr cena View Post
I have a landlord who will sometimes send the exterminator for my major rodent problem but won't fix the source of where the rodents are getting in and it's causing me health issues what can I do I'm on a housing voucher being disabled and I can't afford the security deposit my city paid when I moved in to move again I have over 125 photos of caught rodents five years
You need to report him. I lost my first apartment to a building fire caused by squirrels getting into the roof (which had been damaged by wind during the winter) and chewing the wiring, a fact I only found out about this year, 2 years after it happened.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,645 times
I REPORTED LANDLORD TO L&I in Philadelphia he gets fined then takes weeks to fix violation and it done half assed major rodent problem city pays 70%of my rent I'm disabled and I'm allergic to rodents and have photos to show what happens don't make waves you'll lose your voucher and apartment over 125 photos 5 years pictures showing 4 on one glue trap how do u get help when Philadelphia loves slum lords
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting