Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It is smart, but it's also sad that they have to take steps like these just to get people to pick up after their dog. Hopefully that takes care of the issue. Our HOA provides really nice large, heavy bags, and containers throughout the community..no excuse not to pick it up.
I don't know if they treat that grass for the fleas. When I took my dog for her checkup and to meet our new vet in my new town, I chatted with other dog owners there, and this area does have a problem with fleas. Where I moved from, Redding, I guess it's too hot and dry there for the fleas to flourish.

But, my dog doesn't get bitten often when we go anywhere else, though she still does once in awhile. But, every time I took her to that grassy strip, she would come back biting and scratching at herself. So, not only are they not picking up after their dogs, they're also not treating their dogs for fleas. Grrrr.

I don't like the all-in-one teatments, because I don't like the idea of giving my dog that much poison at once. I know many people use them without any problem, but I just don't like the idea. So, I treat her with Advantage around the 1st of each month, and then a few days later, I'll give her a heartworm tablet that also treats for other parasites. I'm forgetting the name of it right now.

Yeah, $25 is cheap for a city fine, but to a low income senior, it's probably significant enough. And if they get fined more than once, it could seriously affect their budget.

Oh, and there isn't much in the way of yard space with this building. There's that grassy strip, and then some plantings around the property that are in raised areas with shrubs and gravel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 05:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't know if they treat that grass for the fleas. When I took my dog for her checkup and to meet our new vet in my new town, I chatted with other dog owners there, and this area does have a problem with fleas. Where I moved from, Redding, I guess it's too hot and dry there for the fleas to flourish.

But, my dog doesn't get bitten often when we go anywhere else, though she still does once in awhile. But, every time I took her to that grassy strip, she would come back biting and scratching at herself. So, not only are they not picking up after their dogs, they're also not treating their dogs for fleas. Grrrr.

I don't like the all-in-one teatments, because I don't like the idea of giving my dog that much poison at once. I know many people use them without any problem, but I just don't like the idea. So, I treat her with Advantage around the 1st of each month, and then a few days later, I'll give her a heartworm tablet that also treats for other parasites. I'm forgetting the name of it right now.

Yeah, $25 is cheap for a city fine, but to a low income senior, it's probably significant enough. And if they get fined more than once, it could seriously affect their budget.

Oh, and there isn't much in the way of yard space with this building. There's that grassy strip, and then some plantings around the property that are in raised areas with shrubs and gravel.

Have you called your local humane society or low cost spay & neuter clinic about getting those meds at a discount? Our local clinic gives huge discounts to our seniors for vaccines, flea prevention (several varieties) and of course spay and neutering.

I know a lot of people who use Advantage with great success, but I also have a cat that he rolls around and romps with the vet said Advantage could kill the cat. :/ Knock on wood, we haven't had any issues with the Trifexis, though I know there's some breeds that can't take it.

I would never let my dog go without HW prevention here in Florida....too much of a risk

Old 04-12-2015, 01:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Have you called your local humane society or low cost spay & neuter clinic about getting those meds at a discount? Our local clinic gives huge discounts to our seniors for vaccines, flea prevention (several varieties) and of course spay and neutering.

I know a lot of people who use Advantage with great success, but I also have a cat that he rolls around and romps with the vet said Advantage could kill the cat. :/ Knock on wood, we haven't had any issues with the Trifexis, though I know there's some breeds that can't take it.

I would never let my dog go without HW prevention here in Florida....too much of a risk
I get them at discount online, and I buy the big tube of Advantage, and then dose it down. My dog only needs 1cc, so I buy the big dog tube which is 4cc and put it into a vial and measure out 1cc with a needle-less syringe. The tube costs me $12, so her monthly cost for the Advantage is just $3.

I buy the Iverhart Max heartworm medicine because it also treats for other parasites found in this area. I get it at discount online from a California pet pharmacy. It's the best price I could find for a source I felt I could trust. With shipping and tax it's $22 for 6 months, so only about $4 there.

That's great info about the discounts for seniors, though. I wonder if that's why my new vet was so cheap lol. I took her for a check-up and he gave her a bordatella shot (the up the nose spray) and the entire visit was only about $50. I thought that was really affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting