Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 03:57 PM

277 posts, read 441,274 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I have been looking at apartments for when our lease is up at the end of May, and could use a fresh pair of eyes/brains. We’ve looked all over the Seattle area at places that are in our price range with the amenities and sqft that we prefer to have. We currently live on the Eastside of the city, about 20-30 minutes by car into downtown depending on the time of day. We would prefer to be back in Seattle proper, but the demand for apartments is far outpacing the supply, so it’s not a deal breaker.

The first option is in the exact area that we want to be in, but as you see on the con’s section, it’s not a slam dunk – especially when you look at some of the other places that are a little further out. Options 2 & 3 are right next to each other, and option 4 we actually won’t be looking at until tomorrow. We’ve been to that area many times however, so we know it quite well, and the apartment website has a multitude of pictures plus all the floorplans.

I didn’t add it on the list, but they also all have outdoor areas with grills and seating, whether it’s on the rooftop deck or on a community area. I commute by bus into a heavily congested part of the city, but it’s right on the edge by Lake Washington, so I don’t have any bus transfers to worry about from any of the options. My husband works on the Eastside primarily, but also does work for a real estate investor so he does a lot of driving between here and Tacoma. Anyways, any other questions I’m happy to answer, just thought it might help to get another perspective.

(If that comes up too small to read, because I know it's pretty big, here's the direct link: http://i.imgur.com/Zm562C5.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 04:06 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
I think you would get far better response in the Seattle forum.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:10 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
And I think only you and your husband can make that kind of decision. We don't know your budget, your lifestyles, needs or wants...this is something you two need to work out.

But thumbs up to the worksheet...it was a nice touch

Old 04-10-2015, 06:38 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,043,672 times
Last one. I. The purple. That gets my vote.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:44 PM

147 posts, read 212,154 times
Top one. It's option #1 in your mind for a reason. The 1/2 mile walks will be good for you and the pooch.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,769,604 times
In most of them the Sq footage is essentially the same, so I would go for the first one. The ones that have free month/weeks, some places will either prorate that amount over a w month lease giving you a slightly cheaper rent or have you sign a 13 month lease. And of course some are just straightforward and give you a 12 month lease worth you only paying 11 of them.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:31 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
What's most important to you - shorter bus commute or green space for the dog?

I like #2 because of the dog park and it's also walkable to lots of stuff. But if short commute is most important to you, then #1. Plus you also mention #1 being in your top choice location.

#5 is also a great choice because it's brand new (I think) and the commute for #5 is only 10 minutes longer than #1.

So I see #1, #2 and #5 as "finalists".

Old 04-13-2015, 12:13 AM

277 posts, read 441,274 times
Thank you all! We ended up looking at all of them again this weekend, and ended up putting in an application for the first one. The low price (especially for that area where most one bedrooms start at $1800) and the area couldn't be overlooked. We never actually looked at the 4th option. We drove out there, but one of the leasing assistants had called in sick, and there were three people ahead of us waiting to tour. Only 1/4 of the property was finished so far, which means A LOT of construction over the next 4-5 months and I really don't want to deal with that.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 PM

6,810 posts, read 11,472,231 times
I know you made your decision, but want to point out that on new construction I'd worry that the rental rate might be a "grand opening special" and they'd jack up the price at lease renewal. Then you'd be making spreadsheets again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting