Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,091 times

Advertisements

We have been residing in a home in which the owner has done a reverse mortgage on. The owner decided she was going to move out of state and asked us if we would like to move in. We would not have to pay monthly rent but would be responsible to pay for the property taxes which are due twice a year. Also, we would have to pay for all the bills which she wanted kept in her name so no red flags would be raised. So we took her up on it.. Who wouldn't!
Well now she has decided she wants to give the bank the deed lieu of foreclosure. Now she is trying to tell me that we need to move out (mind you we have been residing her for little over two years)
The bank/ mortgage company is under the assumption she has been occupying this residence this whole time.
I explained to her I have no place for me and my daughter to go, so now she has turned off the electricity ( luckily I was able to put back on in my name) and now she shut off the water. Water company is giving me a difficult time with turning back on my water.
I have a child and cant have the water be off or any other utility for that matter.

Can she do this?
DO I have any rights?

Please I need some advise as to what my rights as well as my options are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
I assume that you didn't have a written lease. Therefore, you default to 'month to month' tenancy for most states. Depending you your state/city, typically the landlord needs to give you 30 day notice to move out. Although this can be 15 days or up to 60 days depending on the state.

The landlord CAN require you to move out. If you don't move out then the landlord can evict you.

Why would you assume you can stay long term? Are they supposed to let you stay forever? You must know that renting means the landlord can require you to move after your lease term has expired.

If you don't move out soon, if the landlord begins formal eviction proceedings, then you are going to have a very difficult time getting future rentals because it will be on your record.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:18 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
As you know, the owner was violating the terms of the reverse mortgage by not residing in the house. You will not be able to live there unless you get the mortgage company to sell you the house because they now will be the official owner. You don't have a term lease that the mortgage company has to honor. You can look in your State laws to get a clear understanding of how long you can stay based on having a month 2 month lease that is terminated. Plan on moving quickly......

Old 12-04-2014, 07:02 AM

178 posts, read 232,467 times
I don't understand why you think you are entitled to live in someone else's home. You aren't even paying rent; just property taxes and utilities. You need to find another place to live. Some apartment complexes may offer good deals at this time in order to attract tenants.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
I agree with the previous posters.

If you're legally considered a tenant, the owner had no right to shut off the utilities but, then again, it might be argued that you're not a tenant since you pay no rent. However this goes down you simply cannot stay there. I imagine that what you've been paying in property taxes isn't even close to what you would have been paying in rent so consider yourself fortunate to have saved so much for two years.

You have no rights whether a legal tenant or not. Move as quickly as possible before you end up involved in a mess of court action.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,091 times
The person who owns the house was a friend of the family and she was willing to let us live here. She was the one that gave us this offer and yes, I am luck to have had to pay no rent.
Now that she stands to earn a good chunk on the sale of her home, I have to move. She is defrauding the mortgage company. My dad still has his VA loan that he has never used, I think Im going to take it to the bank.

THank you for all your adivse and comments

Old 12-04-2014, 10:27 AM

912 posts, read 5,262,618 times
Its because of people like OP, that most landlords or people in general are so cold-hearted and never willing to give anybody a hand or a break.

She lets you live in HER home, RENT-FREE for two years. And this is how you repay that huge favor.

"What are my rights", and "Can she do this?"

Despicable and shameful don't even begin to describe it.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Its because of people like OP, that most landlords or people in general are so cold-hearted and never willing to give anybody a hand or a break.

She lets you live in HER home, RENT-FREE for two years. And this is how you repay that huge favor.

"What are my rights", and "Can she do this?"

Despicable and shameful don't even begin to describe it.
Exactly!

This so much sounds like a Judge Judy episode where as a viewer you are just left flabbergasted as to what some people think they are owed in life.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Despicable indeed. OP, if you go out of your way to mess up this kind person whose benevolence has allowed you to live rent-free for two years, you not only should end up feeling deeply ashamed but remember that karma never fails to come around - when you least expect it. Shame on you. Do the right thing and just move.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:56 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westend78 View Post
The person who owns the house was a friend of the family and she was willing to let us live here. She was the one that gave us this offer and yes, I am luck to have had to pay no rent.
Now that she stands to earn a good chunk on the sale of her home, I have to move. She is defrauding the mortgage company. My dad still has his VA loan that he has never used, I think Im going to take it to the bank.

THank you for all your adivse and comments
Stands to earn a good chunk on the sale of her home? In the prior post, you said she was giving it back to the bank. That means she won't make a penny. So which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting